Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The PhD Question

Posted 07-25-2016 10:43 AM

Hi all,

I completed my Master's in art history in 2010, and have been working in the museum field for the past six years. I had originally intended to take a year or two off and then go back to grad school for a PhD, but obviously things haven't worked out that way. I've been a curator at the Roswell Museum and Art Center for the last three years, and plan on staying another two in order to finish a couple of large-scale exhibitions and catalogues. In the meantime, I've been debating what to do next. I like the job I have now, but I don't want to work in a small, perpetually cash-strapped museum forever if I can help it. I like museum work, but I wouldn't mind being at a larger institution with more resources. 

My professors from grad school expect me to go back for the PhD, but I'm debating whether I should. On the one hand, most of the positions I'm interested in include "PhD strongly preferred" in their job descriptions, so I feel that having only a Master's puts me at a disadvantage. On the other hand, by mid-2018 I'll have 8 years' worth of curatorial experience, 5 of which will have been spent as a full curator, as well as an assistant to the interim director during the 2015-2016 year, so in my opinion that experience has to be worth something. Though I'd like to return to academia and spend several years dedicating myself to studying and writing again, I haven't forgotten what a stressful experience it was the first time around. Moreover, having had a comfortable salary (and full insurance!) for the last three years, I'm not all that keen on going back to that Spartan existence if it won't necessarily benefit me in the long term. If I ever want to teach I know that a PhD is a requisite, but given the state of the humanities in higher education these days, as well as the gradual dissolution of tenure-track positions, I'm not particularly interested in going that route at this time.

What are your thoughts on the significance of a PhD to your professional success? Having heard primarily from the academic side, I'm interested to hear from more museum professionals, since that is the field I'm in these days. For those of you who have your PhD, have you found it beneficial? For those who don't, do you wish you had gotten it, or have you done just fine without it? So far I've been doing fine with a Master's alone, but I'm wondering I'm limiting my prospects by not going further as far as the degrees are concerned. Either way I know it's not a question to take likely, hence my post on this board.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate all of your perspectives.

------------------------------
    Sara Woodbury
    Curator
    Roswell Museum and Art Center
    Roswell NM
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: The PhD Question

Posted 07-26-2016 06:43 AM

A job in the hand is worth two degrees in the bush. Sounds like you are gaining good experience and advancing where you are. If you feel the need for more challenge, remember, there is nothing stopping you from researching and publishing outside of work. This will make you more marketable and you might consider applying for a position at a larger institution (which you'll discover is also cash-strapped) Once you have a secure, senior position, you can always negotiate with your supervisor and work to get your PhD, as a part time student. As for academia, perhaps teaching is in your future--but you'll be a better teacher with maturity and real world experience on your resume.

Andrew Masich, PhD
    President & CEO
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: The PhD Question

Posted 07-26-2016 08:57 AM

I've experienced this struggle myself (finished my Masters in 2012). My understanding: there are definitely some museums that absolutely won't consider you without a PhD (larger, more elite institutions, and some academic museums that want their curators to have the same credentials as faculty); there are others that will consider you, but where you'll be at a disadvantage because you are up against candidates with their PhD.  But, you can still have a fulfilling career at smaller, more "off-the-beaten-path" museums without one. I've decided that's the right path for me, because living my life is more important to me than derailing it for 5-7 years with the all-consuming life that is grad school, just in order to reach a more elite status. I know it will limit my options, but I also know that there are places that will value my experience and not think less of me without those three letters, and that's the kind of place I'd rather be.

This is not to say there are not skills to be gained from a PhD; I know there are. I know I would be a better scholar, researcher, and theorist having gone through that process. But, again, given the sacrifice that's involved, I've decided that it is not a priority for me right now. I could change my mind, but I doubt it.

Andrea Rosen
    Curator
    Fleming Museum of Art, University of Vermont

• 4.  RE: The PhD Question

Posted 07-26-2016 09:37 AM

Hello,

A PhD is a four- or five-year commitment with no guarantees at the end in a tight job market for both museum and academic work, so, like marriage, it's not something to be undertaken 'unadvisedly, lightly, or wantonly,' (Book of Common Prayer, 1662). That said, I think a PhD not only will increase your expertise in your field, but even will change the way you think about your field and do your work in it. One option to consider is a part-time PhD assuming that you can do it in a good university. You give up rather a lot of your social life through part-time studies while working full-time, but it can be done. I earned my PhD part-time over a five-year period while working full-time as a museum curator, and found that both my work and my studies benefited from that. Some of your PhD work likely could be linked to your curatorial efforts, so it does not need to equate to two 100 per cent efforts. Presumably you would need some flex time from your museum at the beginning for your course work, but I found that was easy to arrange via lieu time, flexible scheduling, and using a bit of vacation time. You do need to be disciplined, but so do full-time PhD students because nobody wants to hire someone who took too long to complete his or her doctorate.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl Benn PhD
    Professor
    Ryerson University
    Toronto ON

• 5.  RE: The PhD Question

Posted 07-26-2016 11:16 AM

I would say that overall a PH.D. will not be a financial benefit to you in the museum field. That does not mean I would tell you not to go for it, but it needs to be something you want to pursue for personal growth and not necessarily financial gain. A good paying, full-time job, with benefits in the museum world is not something to sneezed at in today's economic climate. There are many out of work or under employed PH.D's out there. As someone who hires, once you have a masters degree, I am much more interested in your experience, communication skills, eagerness to learn, and ability to work with a wide range of people. As someone suggested it is possible to work with your employers to adjust your work schedule, and pair research projects with work projects. Many institutions offer educational leave. A lucky few might find an employer that helps cover tuition. There are currently three staff members within my organization pursuing a Ph.D. while working full-time.

Kathy Dickson
    Director Museums and Historic Sites
    Oklahoma Historical Society
    Oklahoma City OK

• 6.  RE: The PhD Question

Posted 07-26-2016 04:18 PM

The stature of the PhD reminded me of a great quote from A. Hyatt Mayer, the wonderful late curator of prints at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  His writing remains, in my mind, the best museum writing I have ever encountered.  (Heck, he spoke seven languages.)  When he died the Met published a small book of his various short writings.  The book is A. Hyatt Mayor: Selected Writings and a Bibliography.  In "A Truth or Two About Art History" an address he gave to the Museum Advisory Council annual dinner at Princeton in , his last paragraph starts: "The PhD, is the union card for teaching, and may be becoming so, alas, for curating.  It is a lazier yardstick than performance."

I think the discussion has unfolded in a very informed manner and I hope it has been helpful.  As one who is almost totally without benefit of a graduate accomplishment I am a dinosaur in our field.  A couple of times I know a PhD would have helped me in a job search.  As someone who hires, I tend to look for academic credentials that go beyond a BA when I am filling an upper level job.  But, it depends on the job and the experience of the applicant.  College and university museums often require PhDs for curators or directors because they also teach and the school does not want to get lower marks when U.S. News and World Report dose its annual college and university rankings.

Building an impressive resume in a curatorial academic field through exhibitions, acquisitions, publications, and acknowledged expertise is still, I think, valued by museums though it depends on the museum and the expertise. 

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 7.  RE: The PhD Question

Posted 07-26-2016 10:31 PM

Never mind the question of what doors might open for you with the PhD vs. those that will remain closed. What seems missing in your query is a burning curiosity about some issue in the scholarship of art history. What is it? You said your former professors are expecting you to come back to academe; is one of them an exceptional scholar/mentor with whom you long to work again? Are you really excited about a research question that has no definitive answers yet? Are you thrilled by the process of discovery and analysis, going where no one else has gone before? Do conversations about theory and methods deeply excite you? Do you envision the months (years) of digging into archives or collections for your evidence as something that will thrill you to the core? Are you ready to defend the conclusions you draw before a world of skeptical scholars who have worked just as long and just as hard and came to different conclusions? To be perfectly honest, one of my motivations in deciding to pursue the PhD was the hope of higher income. As time wore on and my own money ran out and it seemed like every time I turned around yet another obstacle cropped up, another motivation became not wanting to live with the doubts and fears that I just wasn't good enough to get it done. I finally finished in 2010 but it took a decade of my life, and I was middle-aged when I began. What kept me going was that the readings and the research and the analysis filled an intellectual void that was sufficiently satisfying to overcome the tedium and the frustration and the stress. You will live and breathe your research for a long period of time--is that what you love, or something else? 

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine