Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeing of the shelf app

Posted 07-05-2016 11:41 AM
    Im looking for an off the shelf app for visitors to leaf through images and text, with the possible 'drill' down feature.
    Almost like a stand alone web site. Ive tried to use Morfolio Exhibit on an iPad. It almost is what I need for this project.
    Thanks!
    alan
    The Alchemy of Design 
    Portland OR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Seeing of the shelf app

Posted 07-06-2016 10:36 AM

Many off the shelf apps will rarely do exactly what you want because they need the app to work for everyone.  To build an app is very expensive plus there are ongoing costs.  If you are stuck with iPads there are a few online services/apps that may do what you want check out "Kiosk Pro" app.  It has a monthly fee but seems popular.

What I would do is use an windows tablet running windows 10 (or surface Pro) or an Android tablet, I would create a local web site that will do what you want and you can even get a developer to do more of the fancy stuff you need.  There are apps that can lock down the tablet so there should be no issues.  

If you want, again using the windows tablet/surface or Android you can use Flash CS6 to create either an App or local program to do what you want. Again you may need a developer but a Flash or HTML developer will be a lot cheaper then getting an App developer.  

Note: If you are going to use any type of tablet make sure you get a tablet that uses an LCD display.  Tablets that have an AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode) have beautiful displays and have high contrast but are very susceptible to screen burn.  LCD displays do not have this problem.

------------------------------
    Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Seeing of the shelf app

Posted 07-07-2016 09:39 PM
    Edited by Tiffany Trieu 07-07-2016 09:42 PM

Hi Alan,

I know issuu.com is an easy to use online publishing platform. It allows users to flip through 'books'. Perhaps they provide a similar app function.

------------------------------
    Cheers,
    Tiffany Trieu

www.itstiffanytrieu.com