Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Institutional Archives

Posted 06-30-2016 10:44 AM

Greetings Everyone! 

I am writing to find out how other institutions handle their institutional archives. 

Right now all of our institutional records (photos, files, CD/DVD, misc. documents) have been placed in collection storage. There have been brief discussions on archiving this valuable information and making it accessible in a digital way for our staff.

Before we charge forward, some of my questions are:  

What department within a museum is responsible for the institutional archives? 

Is there a software or program used to record and archive this information? Best recommendation?

If anyone is willing to share their experiences, information, or suggestions we would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all,

Tori

------------------------------
    Victoria King
    Registrar

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Institutional Archives

Posted 07-01-2016 07:55 AM

I would also love to hear people's thoughts on this. Currently some of our institutional records are stored in our museum offices, while others are stored with our collections. It seems inappropriate to store items that are not part of the public trust with the rest of our objects, but I would love to hear ways people are doing this that works! Thanks for bringing this up, Victoria!

[Jacey] [B]
    [Collections Assistant]
    [Colorado]

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Institutional Archives

Posted 07-01-2016 08:34 AM

Ideally, museums should have an institutional archives managed by a professional archivist. There are many resources available through the museum archives section of the Society of American Archivists, including a web page on standards and best practices at Standards & Best Practices Resource Guide

Archivists remove preview

Standards & Best Practices Resource Guide
    Over the past five years, the Museum Archives Section Standards and Best Practices Working Group has gathered examples of museum archives best practices, such as policies, procedures, and sample forms. We have focused on the full range of activities that museum archivists perform.
    View this on Archivists >

Please feel free to contact any of the archives that have contributed to this web page. We're happy to help!

Leslie Cade
    Interim Director, Ingalls Library and Museum Archives
    Cleveland Museum of Art
    Cleveland OH

• 4.  RE: Institutional Archives

Posted 07-01-2016 11:50 AM

I have managed both the museum at the American Academy of Ophthalmology and it's institutional archives for 15 years. The archives can be tricky in my kind of situation with untrained staff and/or only one staff person. I'm not sure your situation, but here are some thoughts:

1. I invested in archival software (a module of our collections software, Re:Discovery's Proficio Elements). Like all off-the-shelf software, its more robust than I need, but it really helped to set up the collection properly by seeing all the fields.

2. I separated the collecting scope of the archive from the retention schedule. Its important to know the difference for your organization- the archive is not a dumping ground for all things we don't want to throw away just yet or might come in handy some day!

3. I organized the archive by subject, not the organizational chart. The org chart can change - departments come and go, people move around the organization - its important to view the archive from an outsiders perspective. What would they be looking for?

4. Finally, we have a large film, photo, and audio collection. I try to make this about the institution and not the staff. Again, staff come and go, but the institution will remain. In 100 years who will be remembered? Who should be? When I keep that in mind, its easier to let the photos of the Christmas parties go and keep our archives clear of strictly staff related items.

I have cataloging guidelines for our archives that I would be happy to share if your interested.

-Jenny

Jenny Benjamin
    Director
    Museum of Vision
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: Institutional Archives

Posted 07-01-2016 01:31 PM

Institutional archives really do need to be separated from collections (both objects and their records), with a separate organizational and cataloguing system, even if they do share the same storage space, as often happens in smaller museums.    Archival records are different from collections records in that they should be grouped by source (i.e., exhibit records, administrative records, curatorial correspondence) rather than by the object(s) they are related to.    

A great place to start is the American Association for State and Local History's online course Basics of Archives.   The next session starts on October 24: http://learn.aaslh.org/event/online-course-basics-of-archives-2/

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 6.  RE: Institutional Archives

Posted 07-02-2016 11:18 AM

This archival project has fallen on the curatorial department, which may not be unusual, since we have an interest in the institution's history in preparation for anniversary publications and events. However, we do not have the staff or resources in place, so I am following this conversation closely. Ideally, our museum will create a way for the collections manager and registrar to help us properly archive historical documentation which is currently housed all over the museum. These documents. photographs, videos and oral histories were naturally created by a wide variety of departments, so we are duplicating items each department wants to keep on hand. Hopefully, the originals will be housed in one archive, separate from the permanent collection, maintained by the collections manager. This is a huge undertaking, even for a museum only 50 years old, so I don't expect to have it close to completion by our anniversary next year. I do think, though, that our efforts will create a process whereby information of importance to the institution's history will now be stored in one archive in a  safe way.

Jennifer Cahn PhD
    Head Curator
    International Museum of Art & Science
    McAllen TX