Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Anyone have cases from SubAstral Inc.?

Posted 06-28-2016 10:12 AM

Our institution is considering purchasing cases from SubAstral Inc for an upcoming exhibit that requires its own cases.  Has anyone worked with this company?  The reviews on the site are fairly limited, particularly for their museum display cases, so I am hoping someone here is familiar with them.

Museum Display Cases for Galleries, Retail Stores and Exhibition Use Subastral

Subastralinc remove preview
    Museum Display Cases for Galleries, Retail Stores and Exhibition Use Subastral
    Stylish and purpose-built museum display cases, exhibit cases and gallery showcases available in a selection of sizes, color options and configurations.
    View this on Subastralinc >

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager and Curator
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Anyone have cases from SubAstral Inc.?

Posted 06-29-2016 09:23 AM

Meredith

I have purchased a number of cases from different vendors but have not dealt with this company. One question would be on security that is always a concern for Smithsonian is security, I am not sure what type of security locks or other devices you require and what this company offers. This also applies to the thickness of the glass that is used. They seem to make jewelry cases as well so they maybe able to offer adequate protection but I would advice discussing it with your security and the company before purchasing.

I do like the vertical lighting offered in the case. Just be sure that that is a dimmer on them so you can control light levels within the case.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me ~ we are just down the street!

Linda Edquist
    Conservator
    National Postal Museum - Smithsonian Institution
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Anyone have cases from SubAstral Inc.?

Posted 07-06-2016 12:58 PM

Meredith,

We are working at determining a case provider for the Hingham Heritage Museum here in Massachuestts and have proposals from both Small Corporation in Greenfield and Gaylord in New York. One of the biggest issues was first, UV or not for the acrylic (acrylic is less expensive than glass) and second, sealed cases or not. 

Good luck,

Ed

Edward Malouf