Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Internal Communication

Posted 06-27-2016 06:10 PM

How do your museums address internal communication? What systems do you use to communicate your daily / weekly events to your staff as well all staff bulletins? Do any worthwhile solutions interface with Outlook? How do staff without desk computers see the information?  Who administers the system? Thanks in advance for your responses!

------------------------------
    Jill Featherstone
    Director of Education
    Des Moines Art Center - Edmundson Art Foundation
    Des Moines IA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Internal Communication

Posted 06-28-2016 09:56 AM
    Edited by Judy Downs 06-28-2016 09:57 AM

We have a staff WIKI for general updates including event schedules, HR policy changes etc.  It is effective and all staff seem to check it regularly. All management staff have access to it and are responsible for updating. Our Finance VP is the one who provides general administration of the system and handles renewal. We also have daily announcements which are used for weather, schedule changes and staffing. As an outdoor museum, these daily announcements are crucial. These are made by the MOD of the day. 

Judy Downs
    Living History Farms
    Urbandale IA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Internal Communication

Posted 06-28-2016 01:29 PM

Our primary channel for communication is Outlook.  We use a master calendar to track daily and monthly events and activities and our docents have their own calendar for tours that is maintained by our educational department.  Our security staff utilize a physical oversized bulletin board they check daily for schedules, policy changes, daily events, etc.

Dani Ferguson
    Visitor Services Manager
    McNay Art Museum
    San Antonio TX

• 4.  RE: Internal Communication

Posted 06-29-2016 06:35 AM

Hi Jill,

Have you looked at Trello and Slack? We use Trello for managing boards of lists and tasks, assignments and events. We use Slack for instant messaging and collaboration via channels. Both integrate well with each other, and other solutions like our calendars. They make for less time spent on email and both are available on apps for the employee's own mobile device as well as desktop use. 

Angie Judge
    CEO @ Dexibit

• 5.  RE: Internal Communication

Posted 06-29-2016 09:34 AM

Hi Jill, 

I second @Angie's mention of Slack and Trello. I've found Slack to be very useful in the workplace setting, especially because of its accessibility across devices and platforms. It integrates with many other apps too. 

Trello I actually just use personally and love it - I wish we had that at my office! For another project management style platform of that kind, you may want to look at Asana too. 

Best, 

Emily

Emily Miranker
    Projects Coordinator
    Museum of the City of New York
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Internal Communication

Posted 06-29-2016 10:17 AM

The most valuable, current and revealing system I use for keeping informed is to get out of my office daily and walk around the property and museum.  As Yogi Berra noted: "You can observe a lot just by watching."  All the IT stuff is nice and certainly has its place but it is a small and predictable resource for management and staff information and interaction.  Moreover, I don't trust it as it requires constant tending that may or may not be attended to regularly, accurately and comprehensively.  We can waste a huge amount of time endlessly fussing with whatever program we decide will make our job easier...and does not.  Accounting and financial reporting is another matter that definitely demands accurate and timely information systems but that is, for the most part, highly confidential and not subject to widespread staff observation.  Museums are run by people and one of the most important administrative jobs is to communicate face-to-face with staff, usually in a listening capacity.  Emails are terrific and I use them constantly during the day.  Occasionally I need to remind myself and others not to take up a huge amount of unproductive chatter time.   IT programs are handy but they do not substitute for the real work of being a productive - and interactive! - employee.      

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 7.  RE: Internal Communication

Posted 06-29-2016 10:30 PM

Internal communication at my organization is handled in a variety of ways, including email, a quarterly update, and a twice-yearly in-person update from our executive director given multiple times and open to all employees and volunteers with information ranging from attendance and income to new intiatives. We also have an intranet website with information about employee comings and goings, job postings, training, upcoming events, and, because we're a state agency, state announcements.

We have bulletin boards in all break rooms, and important emails and announcements are posted there. There are computers in various locations that are accessible to all employees, even if an employee doesn't have an individual desk or computer.

Hope this helps.

Martha Katz-Hyman
    Curator
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 8.  RE: Internal Communication

Posted 07-18-2016 05:26 PM

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions regarding internal communications!

Jill Featherstone
    Director of Education
    Des Moines Art Center - Edmundson Art Foundation
    Des Moines IA