Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Social Media Policies for Interns/Students

Posted 06-21-2016 07:06 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have a social media policy for interns or students who work with collections objects (cataloging or conservation)? Sometimes students having a class with collections objects, or interns working on a project, might take a picture of an object and post it. We allow personal photography in our galleries, so now we're looking to decide how to handle objects not on view. Before making a decision whether to ban this practice or simply provide clear guidelines for attribution, I was wondering if there are any institutions with policies about this.

Many thanks,

------------------------------
    Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Social Media Policies for Interns/Students

Posted 06-22-2016 08:46 AM

We currently do not have a policy on this, so I would love to know what other museums are doing. We are trying to do more with our social media marketing, especially with our interns.  If anyone has ideas, please let me know.  The interns, that work on our collections, check with the collections manager before taking any photos for class use.

Windy Cole
    Volunteer Resource Manager
    Culture & Heritage Museums
    Rock Hill SC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Social Media Policies for Interns/Students

Posted 06-23-2016 11:07 AM

The musuem I volunteer at, we also don't have a policy on this. Although that's good that the interns ask before doing because these days, people need to be careful on what they post for the world to see. I would assume a big name museum like Art Institute of Chicago would be a little more strict. 

As for an idea, I think it would be good if the interns post a picture on their own social media and then your museum share it on their on page. It can show that the interns are really into what they're doing!

Daniel Williams
    Museum Volunteer
    Macomb IL