Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Has anyone used TopResume to clean up their resume?

Posted 06-16-2016 02:07 PM

I am considering spending $350 to have TopResume go over mine and clean it up.  Has anyone used their service?  I took advantage of the free review offered here and have some issues that need to be addressed.  Thanks for any help you can give.

------------------------------
    Kevin McCandless
    owner
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Has anyone used TopResume to clean up their resume?

Posted 06-17-2016 10:34 AM

That seems incredibly expensive to have someone look at your resume. Plus, I assume their advice would be general and not towards the museum field. The best resume advice I got was when I went to the Mountain Plains Museum Association Conference last Fall. They had sessions for EMPs (emerging museum professionals) and had resume review from directors and people in the field. I'm not sure if you are in the MPMA, but other regional museum associations may have something similar. 

Jakob Etrheim
    Collections Assistant
    Kandiyohi County Historical Society
    Willmar MN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Has anyone used TopResume to clean up their resume?

Posted 06-17-2016 10:53 AM
    Kevin - I've never used a service like this.... I think you might be better served enlisting colleagues, in the field and external, to take a look and let you know what they see. It's messier than having some company's formula applied, but you'll get a sense of how actual people are looking at how you've represented yourself. I asked some HR colleagues to respond to mine and it was enlightening!

• 4.  RE: Has anyone used TopResume to clean up their resume?

Posted 06-17-2016 03:21 PM

My goodness. I agree with the others, that seems like a lot. If you don't have colleagues/friends who can take a look, or just want an outside opinion, I would imagine there are those on in the online museum community who would be willing to take a look at it. I would. I'm not a professional editor (though I love editing) and my hiring experience is limited to entry-level staff, but I would be willing to give feedback for you to take or leave as you see fit. I'm out of the office next week, but feel free to send it my way. I think my email is in my profile. 

Good luck!
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth Bazan
    Assistant Curator of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

• 5.  RE: Has anyone used TopResume to clean up their resume?

Posted 06-17-2016 03:32 PM
    DO NOT PAY anyone to clean up your resume. Within your city, see if you can find any of the various one-stop career centers that work in conjunction with your state's unemployment offices to help people find jobs. I am well aware that some regions are not as supportive of such services as others. They may have counselors who you can meet with for free who can provide you with formats, some that you can actually find readily online for free, for you to reformat your resume. The hardest thing for me was seeing the difference between a functioning resume and a cv format, but I was able to do it myself. Also, look for something on line that describes qualifying criteria for people in this year's timeframe and those anticipated for the five years ahead, and adapt those criteria to your skill set within your industry.

Good luck!

• 6.  RE: Has anyone used TopResume to clean up their resume?

Posted 06-20-2016 07:49 AM

Hello Kevin,

That is expensive! AAM published a book called 'A Life in Museums' by Gregg Stevens and this has sections on formatting your CV and writing cover letters. I've used the book and found it very helpful.

Tania Batley

Tania Batley
    Curator
    Lefferts Historic House

• 7.  RE: Has anyone used TopResume to clean up their resume?

Posted 06-20-2016 08:37 AM

Hello Kevin,

You should think of your resume as you do your cover letter.  Each application deserves a resume targeted - emphasizing your education, skills and characteristics - to the requirements of the job you are applying for.  Be sure to include the jargon used in the position description and/or typical for the position.  Finally, use your resume to tell your story - who you are, why you are highly qualified for the position, your aspirations - in the form of the details of your education and experience followed by a list of where you received your education and your employers.  Please contact me if you would like additional information.

Arthur Hunt
    RWS Advisers, Principal
    Hamden CT