Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Independent Museum Professionals- Survey

Posted 06-13-2016 03:09 PM
    Hello!

I am an independent professional who works in museum and early childhood education. I am gathering information on other people who work as contractors/freelance in the museum world to help inform an article and potential session proposal.

I have a short survey (9 questions, multiple choice or short answer!) and would really appreciate input from anyone who considers themselves to be an independent museum professional (whether full or part time). I know there are a lot of jobs being done on a contract basis and a lot of reasons people end up in this type of work and I want to make sure I reflect that.

There will be an option to include a name/email address but you are welcome to leave your answers anonymous. Please feel free to pass the survey link on to any other professionals in your network.

Thank you again for your help!
    Sincerely,

Sarah

------------------------------
    Sarah Erdman
    Consultant
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Independent Museum Professionals- Survey

Posted 06-14-2016 06:52 AM

Great topic! I am a contract registrar. My home base is in Florida. I will respond to your survey now.

Laura Nemmers

Laura Nemmers
    Collections Consultant
    Gainesville FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Independent Museum Professionals- Survey

Posted 06-15-2016 02:51 PM

This is a great topic to explore.  When exhibiting at AAM, I've received a lot of business cards from museum professionals who are independent contractors, and I suspect that their numbers are growing.  I just took your survey, and I'll be looking forward to seeing what you learn.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 4.  RE: Independent Museum Professionals- Survey

Posted 06-24-2016 04:04 PM

Thank you so much to everyone who responded and took time to fill out my survey. There are a lot of thoughtful answers and I promise I will work to get them pulled together into a form that can be used and shared.

As a follow-up, if anyone is/knows someone who is well versed in employment law/small business logistics (HR, lawyer, small business accountant) I would love to reach out to them about a potential session for AAM next year.

Thank you again!

Sarah

Sarah Erdman
    Consultant
    Washington DC