Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Kids' Exhibition

Posted 10-22-2014 07:00 AM
    Hello all,
    I don't know if this is appropriate and if it isn't, I do apologize but last night was so fabulous I think it's worth mentioning. For the last eight months the Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah (in Kuwait) Children's Art Workshop has been working on creating an exhibition of objects from The al-Sabah Collection. Thanks to great owners (Sheikh Nasser Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah and Sheikha Hussah Sabah al-Salem al-Sabah), the collection was opened up to the children and they were given carte blanche. The kids made all the decisions - from theme to objects, icon to materials, design to installation. The kids even wrote the non-technical information for the labels, presenting a unique perspective on some of the objects.

Last night was the opening of Long Ago Zoo: Animals in The al-Sabah Collection, an exhibition of 150 objects from the Islamic world, the 10th century CE - 19th century CE, curated by kids between the ages of 6 and 12. The walls are "gumball blue", the floor is covered with artificial grass, and the animals exhibited based on animal and origin, "so people can see how artists from different countries see animals the same and different." The kids hosted the event, spoke at the opening (in addition to the Minister of Information and Sheikha Hussah), and then led the crowd on tours.

To be honest, it was a ton of work but it is worth the effort. The kids did a great job and are so proud of themselves - especially when they saw the reactions of the guests. The parents were amazed at what their kids accomplished. The VIPS were impressed (always a good thing) and so were the visitors.

If you have the chance to do this (with supportive owners/curators), I highly recommend it. It was a great learning experience for me (having never curated an exhibition), and a great pleasure. It also turned out a pretty great exhibition.

-------------------------------------------
    Susan Day
    Education and Communications Consultant
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Kids' Exhibition

Posted 10-22-2014 01:49 PM
    Susan,

Thanks so much for sharing this with the group. It's definitely appropriate. I think it's very important for us to share our challenges and successes in these types of forums.

Plus, this just sounds like a really interesting exhibit and an interesting process in development.

-Guzel

Guzel duChateau
    Assistant Director, Strategic Communications
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE:Kids' Exhibition

Posted 10-23-2014 08:53 AM
    Hi Susan-

I love this! I am very much in favor of including students in the "museum world" since there is so much for them to gain from the experience. I am planning to do something similar - although on a much smaller scale! - with students in February. And I am very excited to see what they come up with!

Thanks for sharing.
    Rachel

Rachel Barnes
    Education and Volunteer Coordinator
    William S. Hart Ranch & Museum
    Newhall CA