Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Magic Erasers?

Posted 06-08-2016 09:48 AM
    I'm sure that several of you know about the household cleaning product known as the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I've used them in my household to get scuff marks off of linoleum and walls. Yesterday I had some volunteers ask if these could be used to clean old paint from around the edges of a large brass plaque. I said that my gut told me 'no' but that I'd look into it. I've no plans for using these at the moment, but can any of you tell me if these little cleaning blocks are actually suitable for this sort of conservation?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Mel Glover      
    Superintendent: 
    -Pioneer Museum
    -Ft Fetterman
    -Camp Douglas
    307-358-9288 (office)
    307-359-8721 (cell)

Sempre Gumby!

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction
    of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
    Act and may be disclosed to third parties.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Magic Erasers?

Posted 06-09-2016 06:40 AM

Hello Mel,

If you have any doubt than do not use the blocks.  I have used them as well at home and they may be a bit much for your application.  I feel that the less is more approach would work well in your situation.  Although this is without seeing the object.  But anytime you have a doubt then stick with your gut and do some additional research into cleaning methods,

------------------------------
    William Kunkle
    University of West Georgia
    Carrollton GA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Magic Erasers?

Posted 06-09-2016 09:44 AM

Magic Erasers contain microscopic abrasives which can easily polish off softer bronze/brass oxidation (patina).  Depending on what kind of paint (oil or latex) is spattered on the plaque, the Magic Eraser may or may not be effective.  Not a prudent idea...  MHE

Margaret Holben Ellis
    Euguene Thaw Professor of Conservation
    Institute of Fine Arts
    New York University

Director
    Thaw Conservation Center
    Morgan Library & Museum

• 4.  RE: Magic Erasers?

Posted 06-09-2016 09:49 AM

Is the plaque accessioned, meaning - does it have an accession number on it?  If not, you philosophically have the freedom to try and clean it as you wish. If it has a number on it, conservation protocols should kick in and I would avoid any do-it-yourself cleaning attempts.

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 5.  RE: Magic Erasers?

Posted 06-10-2016 09:52 AM

Thank you, everyone who responded.

You all reinforced what my instincts were telling me, but you never know--sometimes there are commercial alternatives to some of our problems. I've not allowed the use of a Magic Eraser and I'll get back with my staff and volunteers to let them know that that's still the case.

Also, while this plaque isn't an accessioned item, I still like to give my advice to the public as if it were. "It's your item, and you can do with it what you will, but speaking as a curator I would recommend..."

Mel Glover
    Superintendent
    Wyoming Pioneer Memorial Museum
    Douglas WY

• 6.  RE: Magic Erasers?

Posted 06-10-2016 10:05 AM

If it helps your discussion, here's an example you might use. Think of regular pencil erasers. If you erase too hard or too long, you damage the paper. There's no real way to distinguish between when you're just erasing the pencil and when you're affecting the paper.

Linda Endersby
    Director
    Michigan Historical Museum
    Lansing MI
    PhD

• 7.  RE: Magic Erasers?

Posted 06-13-2016 11:19 AM

That's a great analogy. Thank you.

Mel Glover
    Superintendent
    Wyoming Pioneer Memorial Museum
    Douglas WY