Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Labeling outdoor farm equipment

Posted 05-20-2016 12:19 PM
    Hi all!

I'm consulting on a project with an historic plantation that involves inventorying and labeling about 6,000 objects, many of which are metal and wooden farm equipment and tools, that will likely live outside or at least somewhat exposed to the elements for the foreseeable future. Some already have archival labeling tags, but they've deteriorated over the years, and I don't think that the standard B72 method will hold up well either. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation and/or have any semi-permanent labeling suggestions that will stand up to weather changes over time? 

Thank you so much!
    Ebie Baker
    Collections Manager
    Longwood Center for the Visual Arts
    bakerer@longwood.edu

--
    Elizabeth Baker
    (434) 547-8942
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Labeling outdoor farm equipment

Posted 05-23-2016 08:44 AM

You could look at methods that are used for automobiles - such as metal plates that are attached or etching the inventory number into a discreet area of the metal.  For items that I label in unusual locations, I make sure and put the notation in the digital cataloging system so that the permanent label can be located quickly on an artifact. 

------------------------------
    Gretchen Greminger
    Curator
    Jekyll Island Museum
    Jekyll Island GA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Labeling outdoor farm equipment

Posted 05-23-2016 09:59 AM

Elizabeth,

For a durable and attractive system I recommend Fossil Industrie's 1/4" thick phenolic panels. Thier number is 

800-244-9809 and while the cost may seem high just think about not having to replace them even 1o years out.

Regards,

Edward Malouf
    Principal
    Content•Design Collaborative LLC

• 4.  RE: Labeling outdoor farm equipment

Posted 05-23-2016 12:24 PM

Hello Ebie,

I had a collections internship at Scotty's Castle in Death Valley National Park a few years back and they used metal tags (think dog-tags) which they stamped with the accession number using dies and a mallet. The tags were then attached to the objects using wire, coated wire or heavy twine depending on the relative fragility of the object and its storage conditions. The tag making is somewhat time consuming but actually kind of fun (and a great project for an intern or volunteer if staff resources are limited). Not sure if that would work for all of your objects but it might be a solution for some.

Good luck!

Michelle Nash
    Assistant Collections Manager
    Coos History Museum
    Coos Bay OR