Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Considering Grad School Program

• 1.  Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-17-2016 05:03 PM

Hi!

I have a B.A. in Education and I am considering entry into an internship/graduate program in I/O(industrial-organizational) Psychology. My goal is to obtain a career in the museum field and I would love to become a full-time museum educator or curator. I am extremely passionate about cultural art and history. Would a degree in I/O Psychology possibly come in handy for employment in the museum field?

Thank you.

------------------------------
    T. P.
    Indiana
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-18-2016 09:17 AM

Depending on what you want to do, having a background in psychology could potentially be useful for this field.  For instance, if you were an exhibits curator and had a good idea of how the human mind perceives things, then that could be strength.   That said, I wouldn't spend lots of money on an additional degree in psychology if you're planning to go into museums.  I would say having experience in the field and a solid understanding of museum standards/philosophies is a more important thing.  If you want to get an additional degree to prep you for museum work,  I'd go for a master's in something like museum studies, public history, etc.

Best of luck with your future plans!

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-18-2016 11:55 PM

Possibly I'm missing something important in what an "I/O Psychology" degree is. I'm not sure what it has to do with either museum education or curating.  

While psychology is generally helpful for management and administration, at the core curators conduct primary research in their respective fields (art history, public history, paleontology, archaeology, entomology, ornithology, etc.).  Educators, whether in a school or informal education setting like zoos and museums, need experience with developing curriculum, teaching, and usually with children.

Your education B.A. should be enough to work or volunteer with a museum until you know what specific further training you really get excited about.  

Lissa Kramer

• 4.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-20-2016 03:00 AM

I think you should study whatever you love, but that may not translate into a museum job. In my experience, job descriptions and position standards have become increasingly stringent, and you will only be hired if your academic background matches the position you are seeking.

Gregory Dobie
    Editorial and Educational Consultant
    Sherman Oaks CA

• 5.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-19-2016 09:25 AM

Hi TP-

My understanding of I/O psychology is limited, so I am a bit unsure of how it would apply to a curatorial or educator position.  From my *brief* review of the field, it sounds like it would more fit with an HR department. The middle sized, fine arts museum I work for has used an external firm to act as an advisor regarding workplace satisfaction, and we have no one on staff that fulfills that position full time.  I will say that if you are interested in pursuing a career in a traditional curatorial department (not curator of public programs, curator of interactive experiences, etc) within a fine arts museum you will need a degree in art history.  At my museum, even the junior level curatorial positions are filled with individuals who have an M.A. in art history and many also have a PhD. 

Hope that helps!

Kirstin

Kristin Gotway
    Curatorial Assistant
    Indianapolis Museum of Art
    Indianapolis IN

• 6.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-19-2016 11:00 AM

You can certainly begin working in the museum field on a track to become an educator or curator (depending on what you will curate) with a BA in Education.  I would recommend doing this before you go back to school for a masters or beyond because generally speaking educator and curator positions are very different.  Work for a while and see what you like doing, and then go back to  school if you need/want to.  If you do decide to go back, your museum may offer some programs to help you pay for your education-- keep this in mind as you job search.  I'd say getting a psych degree would be of limited help in progressing in museum jobs in general if you're unsure of a specific direction you want to take.  Regardless-- I advise everyone to take some time before getting an advanced degree to work in museums if you think that's your desired field.  School is expensive pretty much across the board, and museums don't pay much pretty much across the board, so better to go get that extra degree when you're really certain you need or want it, and that you're thinking strategically about what degree to go for. 

Good luck!

Romy Vreeland
    Manager, Board of Trustees and General Counsel's Office
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-23-2016 07:44 AM

Florida State University has new graduate programs (MA and Ph.D.) in Museum Education and Visitor-Centered Exhibitions (MEX). For more information:

Museum Education and Visitor-Centered Exhibitions (MEX)

Department of Art Education remove preview
    Museum Education and Visitor-Centered Exhibitions (MEX)
    The FSU Department of Art Education is the oldest department of its kind in the South. The distinguished faculty in the Department of Art Education is composed of seven members, each of whom holds the doctoral degree.
    View this on Department of Art Education >
    Pat Villeneuve PhD
    Professor
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee FL

• 8.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-23-2016 01:19 PM

I have a response to the "study what you love" advice. I am going on the job market with a MA and almost a PhD (ABD) in art history. I am interested in lower to middle level jobs in museum education in New York City, which is a very competitive market.  I am not getting much response so I'm worried that my advanced education is actually a obstacle to getting the job I really want.  I want to work in museum education for college age students and adults because I believe in the benefits of lifelong learning and the advantage of using objects and non-classroom settings to inspire creative thinking. But, I wonder what employers think when they see my resume.  I love art history and getting my PhD is a personal lifelong goal. But, career wise, I am not sure it is the best decision.  

My best advice is to really consider what kind of career you want before investing in an advanced degree. If you really want to work in a museum, consider a museum studies or museum education MA and intern/work while you are in grad school. Specialized career education might be more beneficial than a degree in the subject you love. Find people that have the job you want and look at their education and career history to understand the best path for you to take (LinkedIn makes it easier). Do the degree if it is a personal goal, but think about how you will sell it to potential employers.

Sarah Jones
    PhD Candidate, Art History
    University of Missouri
    Emerging Museum Professional

• 9.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-24-2016 09:56 AM

Another idea to consider would be to go for a dual degree. Many grad schools let you apply some courses to two different programs and graduate with two masters degrees.  This is most common with Arts Administration and MBA's in concert with humanities or other professional degrees, but it would be very interesting to combine Museum Studies and Industrial/Organizational Psychology, especially if your internship was in a museum.  It takes longer to graduate, but sets you up for a unique work life!

Good luck!

Guy Hermann
    Museum Insights
    http://www.museuminsights.com

• 10.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-24-2016 10:01 AM

I am a graduate of University of Leicester Museum Studies Learning in Museums and Galleries programme. I think it is important to find a post graduate program that both challenges you and builds on your existing skills. UofL gave me a broader perspective on museums inside and outside the United States. I found their combination of how people learn in museums and visitor studies a good fit for me. 

My advice is to consider what excites you about a programme when you look over materials and talk to folks.

Ly Foor
    Manager of Visitor Studies
    Ohio History Center - Ohio History Connection
    Columbus OH

• 11.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-25-2016 10:15 AM

Dear T.P.,

Expecting any tertiary education in itself to serve as vocational training – with the possible exception of the JD or MD - is fraught. The carrot of 'our graduates get jobs' does sell university admissions, however, and so continues to be promoted (by government, the education sector, et al), and produce buzz-compliant ed programs.

Your interest in 'I/O' Psychology would thus 'recommend' you toward human resource work rather than museum practices centered on the interpretation of material culture. If HR is your objective, a certification in 'I/O' Psych may be sensible, but in regard to your stated interests in the museum field, it may provide only tangential insights. If you are instead considering the psychologies of museum use, for example, perhaps you should consider a broader study of social psychologies.

I doubt there are very many organizations looking for a 'curator of industrial psychology', even if the do collect oral histories or the material culture of industrial societies. But 'your milage may vary'.

regards,

Kevin Coffee
    Oneida, NY

• 12.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-26-2016 08:01 AM

T.P.

I feel like your two interests are either disconnected or too specific. I would suggest really focusing on the general area in which you'd like to gain employment: curatorial or education.

For art curatorial work, art history is likely to be more helpful because in a museum you're interpreting objects or materials. Art history will really have you analyzing and writing.

In education, I'd suggest museum studies or education (M.Ed). You'll need to understand teaching pedagogy and how to apply it in an informal education environment.

I believe that you can approach psychology from either the curatorial or education lens without needing to have intense experience as a psychologist.

D. Broxton

• 13.  RE: Considering Grad School Program

Posted 05-27-2016 02:17 AM

T.P.,

Since you already have a B.A. in Education, a Master's in Museum Studies or Art History seems to be the best bet if you decided to become a museum educator. Putting two to two together (especially if you have the MS degree), it sounds perfect to be in the Museum Education department.  

Daniel Williams
    Museum Volunteer
    Macomb IL