Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Page-turning software?

Posted 05-11-2016 10:26 AM

Dear Forum -- 

We are looking into buying a touchscreen kiosk for use in future exhibitions. While we envision it for a variety of media uses, one thought in particular is to use it for digitizing books so that visitors can virtually see more than just the page or two displayed. I have seen the turning the pages software developed by the British Library, but we are looking for a less expensive solution since we would not need it for every exhibition.

Does anyone have tips or recommendations of page-turning software that has worked well for your institution? Alternatively, I was thinking we could try to code something in HTML5 and incorporate it into a webpage that we'd point the touchscreen to. Has anyone done something like this before and had success? I'm open to other thoughts on digitizing books, too!

Thank you,

Margaret

margaret.walker@vanderbilt.edu 

------------------------------
    Margaret Walker
    Art Curator Assistant
    Vanderbilt University Fine Arts Gallery
    Nashville TN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Page-turning software?

Posted 05-12-2016 11:52 AM

We've had great luck with this, and it's open source:

https://archive.org/details/BookReader

An example here:

https://www.archive.org/stream/birdbookillustra00reedrich#page/n3/mode/2up

All the best,

Douglas

Douglas Hegley
    Director of Media & Technology
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Page-turning software?

Posted 05-12-2016 03:50 PM

Margaret,

You can use the HTML editing program WYSIWYG Web Builder.  It's very easy to use and they have  a lot of plug ins.  I believe one of them is a book page type plug in.  We've used the program for different actions in our kiosks.

Thanks,

Alan Byler

Audio /  Video / Lighting Technician

State Museum of PA

300 North Street

Harrisburg, PA 17120

717-783-9913

• 4.  RE: Page-turning software?

Posted 05-16-2016 04:50 PM

Alternatively, I was thinking we could try to code something in HTML5 and incorporate it into a webpage that we'd point the touchscreen to.

Margaret Walker,  5 days ago

We have been experimenting with Turn.js for an upcoming exhibition featuring Native American ledger book art. You can download version 3 for free here: Turn.js: The page flip effect in HTML5

Turnjs remove preview

Turn.js: The page flip effect in HTML5
    ✓ Works on iPad and iPhone. ✓ Simple, beautiful and powerful API. ✓ Allows to load pages dynamically through Ajax requests. ✓ Pure HTML5/CSS3 content. ✓ Two transition effects. ✓ Works in old browsers such as IE 8 with turn.html4.js jQuery 1.3 or above.
    View this on Turnjs >

Turn.js is a JavaScript library that you can use to turn HTML5 elements into flippable pages, and it works on touchscreen devices as well as on desktop. You just touch the corner of the page and it pops up a little dog-eared corner that you can drag to the next page. With some basic web/front end development skills (HTML5/CSS/jQuery), it is pretty easy to implement but will require some coding. When you download it, there are several helpful examples included in the zip file. Also, while you're designing the kiosk, it might help to do some visitor testing to make sure that people know that the corners are touchable, but other than than, it should be pretty easy to get up and running! Note, version 4 of this software requires a license. However, the features included in version 3 should be enough to create the necessary effect, and that version is free. Hope this helps.

Christina Yang
    Digital Interactives Producer
    Field Museum of Natural History
    Chicago, IL

• 5.  RE: Page-turning software?

Posted 05-17-2016 11:42 AM

Thank you all for these suggestions! I feel confident now that we will be able to find something (likely one of these) that works!

Margaret Walker
    Art Curator Assistant
    Vanderbilt University Fine Arts Gallery
    Nashville TN

• 6.  RE: Page-turning software?

Posted 05-17-2016 02:31 PM

I like to using Flippingbook (Digital Publishing Solution | FlippingBook) If you are using it in a Kiosk you will benefit from the slick Flash version. It also supports HTML 5 and mobile devices.

Turn.js is great but will require you to build out all of your pages in HTML (I guess you can use images) the benefit of Flippingbook is that you can create your content in PDF format this allows you do have a beautiful looking "Book" (using Illustrator, or inDesign or your own graphic designer) without all the work to create a HTML page.  It also breaks up the PDF into separate pages so if you need to replace or delete one page you can.

It has a ton of great features and full customizable to match what ever look your are trying to achieve.  Here is one I just put together. Wondrous Worlds Catalog

Newarkmuseum remove preview
    Wondrous Worlds Catalog
    Wondrous Worlds Catalog
    View this on Newarkmuseum >

Good luck;

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ