Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Selling ear buds for App use

Posted 04-11-2016 04:24 PM

Dear Colleagues,

Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is currently researching App development and issues centered on revenue streams. As the visitor seems to expect the App to be free one idea I have come across is institutions selling ear buds to make up some revenue for free app use. If anyone has done this could you please contact me. I am curious to know what the costs are and profits for selling ear buds to visitors.

Secondly, if anyone has any unique ways they have generated revenue from Apps I am curious to know outside of selling thematic or special exhibition tours as App content.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Selling ear buds for App use

Posted 04-12-2016 08:26 AM
    Edited by Jeffrey Inscho 04-12-2016 08:26 AM

Hi Mark,

We make earbuds available for purchase, but honestly, no one buys them. Our choice to make them available was less of a revenue generation decision and more of a visitor convenience decision.

Regarding revenue, we've been baking sponsorship/underwriting opportunities into our apps. We've designed a multi-tier program that lets funders support at several different levels...the app itself, special exhibitions in the app, and specific objects. These sponsor credits can be added at any time via a web-based CMS without shipping source code updates.

All our code is open source as well, so if you have a developer on staff feel free to fork it. Let me know if you'd like to chat offline in more detail.

JEFFREY INSCHO
    Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
    Innovation Studio
    4400 Forbes Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    Email: inschoj@carnegiemuseums.org
    Web: http://studio.carnegiemuseums.org
    Twitter: @CMP_studio

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Selling ear buds for App use

Posted 04-12-2016 10:03 AM

Hi Mark,

We're looking at providing branded ear buds for sale with our app as well but as mentioned earlier, it's more for convenience than revenue. Our galleries are packed in the summer and while the videos in the app will have closed captioning some people still prefer audio (especially for dinosaur sounds).  

One of the things we're looking to provide with the app is coupons for the gift shop or cafe when you participate in a quiz or game. Nothing huge but hopefully enticing. There are also opportunities to cross promote our programs with specific gallery content. For us, the revenue generation will come from awareness of other activities. 

Lisa

Lisa Making
    Director, Exhibits & Communications
    Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology
    Drumheller AB

• 4.  RE: Selling ear buds for App use

Posted 04-13-2016 08:35 AM

Hi, All!

About two years ago, the Dallas Museum of Art had ear buds for sale at the Visitor Services desks. The ear buds sold for $2; it was strictly a convenience for our visitors. While it was a great way to introduction our audio tours, the ear buds did not sell. The visitors that didn't have their own preferred not to use them. We have since discontinued selling them.

Barbee Barber
    Director of Staff and Visitor Experience
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX