Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Zipper-Lock Bags: Archives Suitability?

Posted 03-28-2016 11:08 AM
    Good morning.

I have recently taken over a museum and discovered that my predecessor used a type of zipper-lock baggie in which to store photographs. I'm 85% certain that they're not just the kind you buy from your local grocery store. My gut reaction is that that these cannot be good for my collection. I've unzipped everything but I'm not certain how to tell whether the bags themselves are acceptable. Do they off-gas? Will the emulsion adhere to the plastic? I can find no manufacturer or other information on the bags themselves. Do I need to remove these ASAP? Are they okay for now, but should be changed out in the not-too-distant future? Are they just fine but not the most space-efficient? I know what my instinct tells me but I'd very much like this body's advice.

Mel Glover      
    Superintendent: 
    -Pioneer Museum
    -Ft Fetterman
    -Camp Douglas
    307-358-9288 (office)
    307-359-8721 (cell)

Sempre Gumby!

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction
    of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
    Act and may be disclosed to third parties.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Zipper-Lock Bags: Archives Suitability?

Posted 03-29-2016 08:42 AM

Whenever I encounter "archival" enclosures that I'm wary of and can't find manufacturer information for, I usually err on the side of caution and replace them. As far as whether or not you need to remove them ASAP, I would say that depends on the condition of other items in the collection. If you have time, or a volunteer, then sure! But, if you have things wrapped in cardboard and rubber bands, then the ziplock baggies can probably wait.

Even if the bags are made of the proper plastic, I would also be concerned about the potential damage and scratching the plastic zipper portion could cause to the photo when removing it. On that basis alone, I would put it in my queue to be re-housed.

------------------------------
    Whitney Broadaway
    Collections Manager
    Orange County Regional History Center
    Orlando FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Zipper-Lock Bags: Archives Suitability?

Posted 03-29-2016 10:46 PM

It is my understanding that some ziplock polyethylene bags have a surface treatment (organic chemical) used to keep them from sticking to themselves and/or other bags—probably not recommended for archival storage of potentially reactive materials. Some bags seem to be free of such substances since they are used to ship high vacuum components where any contaminants are problematic.

I have also found that ziplock bags can be problematic for storing some plastics—in this case I believe the problem is that they do not allow out-gassing and the out-gassing from the plastic objects can therefor be trapped and cause damage.

I have stored a variety of objects such as glassware, tools etc. for decades in such bags without apparent damage, providing both mechanical and chemical protection.

Richard Paselk PhD
    Curator
    Arcata CA

• 4.  RE: Zipper-Lock Bags: Archives Suitability?

Posted 03-30-2016 10:23 AM

Thank you. You've confirmed what my gut was telling me. This isn't a code red situation but I'll try and get everything switched out sooner rather than later.

Mel Glover
    Superintendent
    Wyoming Pioneer Memorial Museum
    Douglas WY

• 5.  RE: Zipper-Lock Bags: Archives Suitability?

Posted 04-02-2016 12:11 PM

The museum I retired from had a few thousand photos. Storage was a challenge. We used archival envelopes from a photo supplier. My immediate thought for concern with the zip lock baggie was moisture retention with the change in weather that can occur in your area. The envelopes would allow the photos to stabilize. Sudden changes in humidity would be more damaging to the print over time. 

Beth Sennett Porter