Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Long term storage for temporary tattoos

Posted 03-23-2016 02:57 PM
    Hi all!  As part of the National Park Service's 100th birthday this year, our park has designed temporary tattoos to give out to visitors. I'm saving several for the collection but I'm a bit stymied as to how to appropriately store them.  My guess is a acid-free paper envelope interleaving with acid-free paper, but I'm open to other suggestions.  Thanks!

--
    Susan M. Haake
    Curator
    Lincoln Home National Historic Site
    413 South 8th Street
    Springfield, IL 62701
    (217) 391-3246
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Long term storage for temporary tattoos

Posted 03-24-2016 09:06 AM

If it were me I'd put it in an archival quality plastic bag with a piece of acid free bristol board in there to keep it from getting bent or creased. 

Have a great Thursday!

------------------------------
    Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Long term storage for temporary tattoos

Posted 03-24-2016 10:03 AM

Good Morning Susan,

Fun object to be looking after!  You are on the right track with archival paper housing. They are a form of print, and being a transfer print, need protection from high humidity which a controlled storage environment  will offer you. I recommend they  be individually housed in 4x5 negative paper sleeves.

------------------------------
    Michele Phillips
    Paper Conservator
    New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation