Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Art museum using ivory to connect to elephant conservation?

Posted 03-11-2016 09:20 AM
    I am looking for someone from an art museum who could speak to exhibit interpretation and/or education programs that use ivory in museum collections to engage visitors in elephant conservation. I am planning on submitting a conference proposal around the idea of how art, science and history can come together to address the crisis in biodiversity loss from wildlife trafficking. Any interested participant(s) would need to be able to attend a conference in San Diego in the fall and make his or her own travel arrangements. (Daily conference registration is usually complimentary for speakers who are not planning on attending the full conference.) Please contact me directly at braunsteinc@si.edu if you are interested in participating in this proposal.

Cheryl Braunstein
    Manager, Exhibit Planning and Development
    Office of Public Engagement
    National Zoological Park
    Smithsonian Institution
    MRC 5517, Washington, DC 20013-7012
    (o) 202-633-3297
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Art museum using ivory to connect to elephant conservation?

Posted 03-15-2016 10:37 AM

Hello, we have some African musical instruments made of elephant ivory (from pre-1970) that we will be showing in an upcoming musical instrument exhibit called "Amazing Horns, Bridging Continents, Bridging Time." (Opens June of this year).  We intend to raise elephant conservation issues in the wall label for the instrument. I would also welcome some resource ideas if we were to go further and create links via QR code, or such.

------------------------------
    Olivia Lahs-Gonzales
    Director
    The Sheldon Art Galleries
    Saint Louis MO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more