Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 01-21-2016 08:57 AM

Has anyone developed any policies regarding the use of gender-neutral pronouns?

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 01-22-2016 09:24 AM

Hi Laura-

What context are you interested in? Internal communications? External (ie visitor/public) facing? 

------------------------------
    Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 02-11-2016 05:04 PM

A good resource for information would be your local LGBT Resource Center or the HRC. 

Best, 

Jessica 

Jessica Strom

• 4.  RE: Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 02-12-2016 10:37 AM

Hi,

The incluseum.com is constantly working on this.

Please check out this article (It appeared in AAM's Museum Mag)

Bringing Self-Examination to the Center of Social Justice Work in Museums

the incluseum remove preview
    Bringing Self-Examination to the Center of Social Justice Work in Museums
    Amidst the holidays, our article Bringing Self-Examination to the Center of Social Justice Work in Museums was published in Museum Magazine's Jan/Feb issue on Diversity in the Workplace. You can access the full article here. We would love to hear what you think!
    View this on the incluseum >

Best,

Laura-Edythe

Laura-Edythe Coleman
    Museum Informaticist
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee FL

• 5.  RE: Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 02-16-2016 12:51 PM

Thank you Laura for referring to our piece in Museum!  I wanted to direct people to the Incluseum's recent piece about Gender Equity in Museums as well. While this doesn't discuss current internal or external museum policies related to use of gender pronouns, it is a call for the field to prioritize intersectionality (genders relationship with race, class, ability etc) and understand and support the experiences of genderqueer and transgender individuals in museums. I hope this piece could support internal dialogues at museums where the creation of policies about use of gender pronouns is in process.  I would love to hear if you find any examples of such policies - internal or external facing!

Aletheia Wittman
    The Incluseum
    incluseum.com
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 02-16-2016 04:02 PM

Thanks to all who replied. I deliberately left the question broad, but in particular I am interested in whether anyone has adopted or is considering the adoption of they/their instead of he/she in public-facing discourse (promotional material and didactics).

If you've thought about it, would you do it only upon an artist's request? Switch to this usage in all instances? Do it from now on or also attempt to rework older materials? Retain he/she in signed texts according to author's preference?

If you're waiting to see if this usage becomes more widely adopted, whose example are you looking at? A prominent museum in your field? Chicago Style guide? Universities? Major media? Or is writing a policy for your institution regardless of what's happening in the field your preference?

Laura Caruso
    Director of Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO
    Sr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum PublicationsSr. Editor & Manager of Museum Publications

• 7.  RE: Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 02-17-2016 01:48 PM

Hi all.  Re gender-neutral pronouns: As a longtime writer for interpretive exhibits (primarily in history museums, nature centers, etc., rather than fine arts museums), this issue is something I deal with in almost every exhibit.  And I find that by now, it is second nature to me to "write around" gender specificity – and frankly, never ever to use the masculine pronoun to refer to the entire human race! It's almost always possible to write in the plural, which is always gender neutral, or to find other ways to avoid gender bias. The surprising thing is that except for the National Park Service, which has an editorial style guide (and where I have a contract to provide interpretive planning), I find that most organizations do not have any policies on this matter, even in 2016.  In fact, it usually comes down to my own personal sensitivities, which I rarely voice; I just do it. To date I cannot think of a single client who has objected to (or even noticed, in most cases) being provided with texts that are gender neutral. Whenever possible, I even go so far as to avoid common locutions and famous quotes – again, typically without talking about it -- that use "man" as a substitute for all the rest of us, as in "all mankind" and "man-made."  These constructions only become troublesome in the context of historical materials, such as the Wilderness Act, which defines wilderness as "untrammeled by man."

And lest the above sound egotistical, it's not as though I'm plowing new ground here.  Many stylebooks offer guidance, even in our changing world. Find the NPS Editorial Style guide online at www.nps.gov/hfc/products/pubs/HFCStyleGuide2015.pdf.  (NPS even allows the "everyone has their own..." construction, which mixes singular and plural – unnecessary!!! No!)  Also look at the American Psychological Association (APA) Publication Manual, used mostly for social sciences academic writing, which in my opinion is generally a bit more helpful and up-to-date than the Chicago Manual of Style regarding evolving gender identity issues. Another helpful resource is the American Philosophical Association's guidance at http://www.apaonlinecsw.org/apa-guidelines-for-non-sexist-use-of-language.  (Note that that these two APA entities are entirely different organizations.)

Hope this helps.  My bottom-line advice:  Don't wait on developing a style guide; just start today using gender-neutral prose whenever the opportunity arises.  Over time, it will become second nature to your organization, as well as a truer reflection, perhaps, of your institution and the artists showcased therein.

Regards,

Fg

Faye Goolrick, CIP

Interpretive Planning & Exhibit Writing

Goolrick Interpretive Group

Atlanta, GA

www.goolrickgroup.com

Phone 404-633-2646

• 8.  RE: Gender-nuetral pronouns

Posted 02-18-2016 11:40 AM

Hi Laura,

You've probably read the recent news articles on this subject, but I wanted to point out that singular "they" (the use of "they" and its associated forms as a singular, gender-neutral pronoun; e.g., "Does everyone have their pencils ready?") has been in the language for years. And now that singular "they" has been named Word of the Year for 2015 (She? Ze? They? What's In a Gender Pronoun) and the Washington Post has amended its style guide to include singular "they" (The Post drops the 'mike' - and the hyphen in 'e-mail'), this usage has an even greater degree of legitimacy. So I don't think it would be too radical to start using "they" as a singular, gender-neutral pronoun in internal or external materials, even if it's still not the norm. In a few years, I'm betting it will be. 

Claire

Claire Wallace