Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-18-2016 03:10 PM

Hi I have a collections question,

My museum has a number figurative whiskey decanters which are unopened and still have the whiskey in them. These items are between 30 and 40 years old. Do any of you have similar items in your collections and what special considerations do they require for preservation. Our thoughts are that the booze is part of the object so we are not going to empty them but it does pose some storage and safety questions in regards to their proximity to other objects in the collections.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Polly Toledo
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-19-2016 09:00 AM

We have a bottle of Chesterfield Rye whiskey -- unopened -- that was a gift to Civil War soldiers in Kalamazoo when they signed up.  This one was bottled in 1863 and was never opened.  Nevertheless, some of it has evaporated.  We haven't treated this bottle with a different protocol than we have any other fragile item, and it's housed with other Civil War artifacts.  As long as you're careful not to allow breakage -- as you would with any collection item -- you should be OK storing it as you would if it were empty.

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-20-2016 09:10 AM

Elspeth:

Would you say that applies to carbonated (aka beer) beverages as well?  We recently accepted a six pack of beer that was bottled in the 30s or 40s and I was wondering about that.  I would think that if it was going to have problems, it would've had them sometime in the last 70 years.  With the contents being under pressure, I wasn't sure if there is a difference.

Thanks!

Geoff Woodcox

Assistant Curator of Collections

State Historical Society of North Dakota

612 E Boulevard Avenue

Bismarck, ND 58505

(701) 328-3608

• 4.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-20-2016 10:58 AM

Geoff:

Carbonated beverages are usually fine inside glass bottles as long as the bottles are stored standing up so that no liquid is touching the inside of the cap.  Liquid touching the inside of the cap will cause the cap to erode and lead to further problems.  If the caps appear to be in good shape, leaving the liquid inside is not an issue.  If there appears to be any sort of corrosion on the cap already, it is best to remove the cap and empty the liquid.

Rachael Nadeau Johnson
    Collections Coordinator
    Dr Pepper Museum
    Waco TX

• 5.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-25-2016 12:47 PM

When I started here I discovered some 6-packs of Coca-Cola just sitting in the open in the collection room.  They were fine but I immediately bagged them in ziplock bags to be on the safe side.  In touring the collections later that year, I discovered one had exploded and was leaking.  Luckily, the leak was contained.   I make it a rule to bag anything containing liquid…

Dana Neitzel

Curator

San Mateo County Historical Association

2200 Broadway, Redwood City, CA 94063

Ph: 650.299.0104, ext. 230 | Fax: 650.299.0141

dana@historysmc.org | www.historysmc.org

image002.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image004.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image006.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image008.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230

Current changing exhibits at the History Museum:

Fighting the Bite (through April 2, 2016)

Experience the West:  Sunset Cover Art (opens April 5, 2016)

Let's Play Ball (through September 4, 2016)

• 6.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-26-2016 07:52 AM

Sorry -- was out of town and out of the reach of the Internet, believe it or not.   In any case, I'm no expert, but I don't think carbonated beverages would pose a problem as long as the environmental conditions were stable.

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 7.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-19-2016 11:56 AM

Hi colleague:

In case that you don't get the answer you need I recommend you to ask a serious and experienced company of cellar of liquors or maybe a collector of liquors. 

Good luck!

Ana Margarita

Ana Margarita Hernandez
    Chief Educator
    Museo de Arte de Ponce
    Ponce

• 8.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 01-20-2016 06:19 AM

Contact the City of Waterloo Museum in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada - you'll find them on-line.  They inherited the collection of the former Seagram Museum.  Seagram was founded in Waterloo in the 19th century, and operating there until about 20 years ago.  The company built and managed a magnificent museum at the original plant until it closed.  The collection includes lots of liquor bottles, and I'm sure the City of Waterloo Museum has had to deal with this question.

Tom Reitz
    Manager/Curator
    Waterloo Region Museum
    Kitchener ON

• 9.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 02-16-2016 09:56 AM

Its possible that this won't be a problem for you, but because alcohol is flammable, there are some serious regulations pertaining to their storage imposed by OSHA. These regulations have changed recently causing natural history collections to have to change their storage equipment and make other arrangements for housing fluids collections. In your case presumably the level of alcohol is probably so small that it won't matter, but you might want to contact your safety people to see what they say. Ours are a wealth of information and very helpful with resolving issues such as these, and the carbonated aspects would fall under their watch as well. Since they have chemical training, they could be super helpful for your.

Kirsten Nicholson
    Curator
    Museum of Cultural & Natural History - Central Michigan University
    Mount Pleasant MI

• 10.  RE: Alcohol in Collections

Posted 02-17-2016 11:36 AM

If not sealed properly, liquids will eventually evaporate out of bottles leaving unsightly residue. If housed in metals, liquids will eventually break those down as well. The only containers I have that are holding up well are glass but then the rubber stoppers or metal caps become a problem. My advise is to talk to a conservator and have them empty the liquids. After all, what is the actual artifact here? The bottle or the liquor?

Jenny Benjamin
    Director
    Museum of Vision
    San Francisco CA