Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Portable exhibition panels for traveling show

Posted 11-18-2015 12:53 PM

I am tasked with designing a set of vertical exhibition panels that will travel to a wide range of public spaces - historical societies, community centers, libraries, public schools, etc.  I plan to embed the one-sided graphics in a set of fiberglas panels that are 78" high by 28" wide.  I can attach a clamp-on light to the top of each panel.  I think that KLEM connectors will be the best way to allow for a variety of panel layouts - a four-panel "U" or "W", a closed triangle with 3 panels, or a closed square with 4 panels, etc.  http://www.outwatermastercatalog.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/2016_Master_Catalog/page/D-28/highlight/klem

I invited any feedback on alternatives to connect the panels side-to-side, and also support and stabilize the base of the panels.  Although it may be possible to use the panel against the floor, the shipping weight could be reduced if a 60" high panel were held above the floor by a stable foot/base system.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank  you.

------------------------------
    Holly Maxson
    Co-Curator of Collection
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Portable exhibition panels for traveling show

Posted 11-19-2015 07:22 AM

I recently designed similar panels and we had them produced as free standing pop-up panels (like a rolling window shade). They are easy to store and although I haven't shipped them yet, should be pretty easy to ship too. 

Anne Amati
    Registrar/NAGPRA Coordinator
    Museum of Anthropology, University of Denver
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Portable exhibition panels for traveling show

Posted 11-19-2015 11:55 PM

Hello! This summer, I created a new informational exhibit for a relatively small space. I sourced trade show style banners which look great in the space. They are a type of heavy vinyl with the graphics printed on them. They are held up with telescoping aluminum frames. The banners easily roll up and the whole setup fits nicely in a long box that would work for shipping. The banners have a loop at the top and at the bottom that cross pieces fit to keep the banner flat and smooth. The frames were good quality and were moderately priced, but the banners and printing were very affordable.

Let me know if you would like more information and details.

RG de Stolfe
    Temple Israel Foundation
    Leadville CO

• 4.  RE: Portable exhibition panels for traveling show

Posted 11-20-2015 09:27 AM

I agree with the previous comments that pop-up vinyl bannerstands work really well for traveling displays.  The print quality is nice and crisp, and our experience with 6 exhibits printed in this format has been very positive.  Another benefit, considering the host venues that you are hoping to share your display with, is that the pop-up vinyl bannerstands are very user-friendly.  The people who will be setting these up will likely have no previous experience in installing graphics - so anything that can be done easily, with no tools required, is a plus.  

We ship this style of graphic all over the country, and can usually fit five banners in a plastic crate that is acceptable by UPS ground.  Again, a plastic crate with wheel will make life easier for you and for the host venues for your display.  The banners can also easily fit in a car, which might not be the case for rigid flat graphics. 

I'm happy to answer any questions about our experience in sending out this kind of display.  We are the national museum for Danish-American experience, so traveling exhibits are a key strategy for our museum reaching a national audience.  

Tova Brandt
    Curator of Danish-American Culture
    Museum of Danish America
    Elk Horn IA

• 5.  RE: Portable exhibition panels for traveling show

Posted 11-20-2015 10:47 AM

If you need a designer to help with pop-up exhibits, perhaps I can help you. I'm currently designing an exhibit using roll-up banner stands for natural history museum. The roll-ups have great print quality, easy to tote to location, and are cost effective, lot of bang for the buck.

Markus Dohner
    Exhibition Designer
    Chicago IL