Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Abandoned Property & Unwanted Donations

Posted 11-06-2015 12:58 PM

Hi,

I'm interested in hearing from other institutions if they have experience with unsolicited "donations" being dropped off at their museum (with no documentation) or sent to the museum by mail.  Since such items are then technically in the possession of the museum and they are not wanted by the museum, what rights does the museum have to do with the items?  Is this a case where abandoned property laws must be followed?

If you've had experience with this at your institution, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Keri Koehler
    Collections Manager
    San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
    San Francisco CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Abandoned Property & Unwanted Donations

Posted 11-06-2015 01:20 PM

We try and contact the stealth donor to give item(s) back or get a deed of gift.  After that, I do not think museums are under any legal obligations to keep unwanted drop offs and can dispose of in any manner they choose.

David Beard
    Director
    Museum of the Gulf Coast
    Port Arthur TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Abandoned Property & Unwanted Donations

Posted 11-07-2015 08:28 AM

Create a policy stating that no unsolicited donations can be dropped off! Make sure all staff understand and follow the policy.  Tell or give those people who want to donate objects the policy and how they can be in touch with a curator regarding potential gifts.  It's that simple.  Best, Geri Thomas

• 4.  RE: Abandoned Property & Unwanted Donations

Posted 11-07-2015 11:20 AM

Geri:
    We all want it to be that simple, but in practice, I have not seen such policies work all the time at any of the museums I have worked.  Volunteers and student assistants are often unwilling to deal with someone intent on donating the most important object ever to the museum.  If staff are present, then they can be called down to deal with the situation, but on weekends and certain holidays this becomes a problem.  I have shipped objects back to people COD if they were found to have been rude or aggressive toward my staff or volunteers.  If no donor information is available and we do not want it, we have either tossed it in the dumpster (where it would often end up in any event) and even sold stuff on ebay and used funds for staff and volunteer parties.

David Beard
    Director
    Museum of the Gulf Coast
    Port Arthur TX

• 5.  RE: Abandoned Property & Unwanted Donations

Posted 11-09-2015 02:48 PM

We have a form that anyone dropping off a "dump and run" contribution must fill out and sign clearly indicating that the museum has the right to dispose of the object(s) as it sees fit. We do not accept anything without contact information. We also work with our front line staff to make sure they are comfortable turning things down that may be problematic or hazardous or otherwise difficult to deal with should there be no curator available.

I'd be happy to send you some information offline if you are interested.

Laura Rice
    Chief Curator
    The Adirondack Museum
    Blue Mountain Lake NY

• 6.  RE: Abandoned Property & Unwanted Donations

Posted 11-11-2015 08:06 AM

We have an anonymous donor that mails in donations with no return address (or, if a return address is included, it is the museum's address). Sometimes the material would be a nice addition to the collection, and sometimes it is not something we are interested in accessioning, but either way I have no donor information and no way to make contact. I'm interested to hear if anyone has dealt with a similar situation.

Whitney Broadaway
    Collections Manager
    Orange County Regional History Center
    Orlando FL