Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Inclusion - Definitions and Mission Statements

Posted 10-28-2015 09:55 AM

Dear Colleagues,

The EdCom Issues Committee is interested in gathering information from the field concerning how museums approach and define the concept of inclusion. AAM uses the principals of accessibility, accountability, and advocacy in broad terms to approach all museum practice. Do any institutions use these principals to define their approach to inclusion? Regardless, please share inclusion definitions and mission statements if your institution has them. The committee is hoping to use information it gathers to help define the Market Place of Ideas discussion forums for this upcoming 2016 AAM conference.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Inclusion - Definitions and Mission Statements

Posted 10-29-2015 10:31 AM

We recently added "Inclusivity" to our set of Core Values.  Our statement reads:  "We seek to include all Ohioans in the preservation and sharing of their history and to build meaningful relationships with under-served audiences and connect them to Ohio History.  This includes honoring the people who lived here before European contact by supporting their tribal descendants' efforts to preserve, share and sometimes reclaim their heritage and culture."  This has been a great foundation for our current efforts reaching out to under-served audiences and the federal recognized tribes that formally lived in Ohio.

Anthony Gibbs
    Community Engagement Coordinator
    Ohio History Center - Ohio History Connection
    Columbus OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Inclusion - Definitions and Mission Statements

Posted 10-29-2015 02:00 PM

This is the definition we are using:

Inclusion refers to the programs and organizational strategies that welcome and embrace the strengths each person brings to the organization. It’s about focusing on the needs of every individual and ensuring the right conditions are in place for each person to achieve his or her full potential.

Melissa Felder
    Chief Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA

• 4.  RE: Inclusion - Definitions and Mission Statements

Posted 10-29-2015 03:37 PM

Hi Mark

Madison Children's Museum is in the process of creating a Welcome/Diversity and Inclusion Statement as part of an overall strategic framework for Access, Diversity and Inclusion.

In looking the big picture we define them as follows:

Access means I know where the front door is and I can get to it and through it

Diversity means I see myself and my values reflected in the organization

Inclusion mean I have voice in helping the organization fulfill its mission.

We have just created and adopted a board committee charter for an Access, Diversity and Inclusion board committee.

We are in the process of going through all of our programs, policies and procedures to ensure that we are a fully inclusive organization.  I am happy to post our charter to the group as well if needed. In there we have Diversity includes but not limited to statement .

Our mission is to connect children with their families, their communities and the world beyond through hands on learning and play.

Vision- Madison Children's Museum strives to be a welcoming, imaginative, joyful learning environment that supports famiies in nurturing children's creativity and curiosity. We foster the healthy development of all children so that they will fulfill their potential and become engaged community members and global citizens.

Our Core values reflect what we believe is in the best interest of children-always.

We believe in play, integrity, creativity, collaboration, risk, inclusiveness, learning, and sustainability.

Knowing that inclusion has specific connotation we try to take the broadest approach but also understand that physical and cognitive abilities are a key component to inclusive practice

I hope this is part of what you are looking for and I would love to be a larger part of this work and discussion, so please let me know how I can further contribute.

Sandra

Sandra Bonnici Hoecherl

Associate Director of Education
    Madison Children's Museum
    100 N. Hamilton Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    Direct Line: 608.354.0542
    Main line: 608.256.6445 x542
    Fax: 608.268.1398

MadisonChildrensMuseum.org

logo4cvert
    2011 Winner of The National Medal for Museum and Library Service! 

• 5.  RE: Inclusion - Definitions and Mission Statements

Posted 10-30-2015 10:02 AM

Thanks so much for these responses. I will keep in touch with you all to see of there is interest in participating in the call for the Marketplace of Ideas at AAM 2016.

Best,

Mark

Mark Osterman
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 6.  RE: Inclusion - Definitions and Mission Statements

Posted 11-05-2015 12:07 PM

The Palo Alto Junior Museum & Zoo (in CA) has not created a definition of Inclusion at this point. However, for the past several years we have been engaged in an Accessibility and Inclusion Initiative focusing on engaging visitors with physical and developmental disabilities. We are in the Master Planning and Capital Campaign phase to build a new museum and zoo. We want to be sure we design and plan for accessibility and inclusion in the early stages and build an accessible facility and experience from the ground up.

As an outcome of this process, we have created an Accessibility and Inclusion plan. This plan includes:

Mission

The JMZ’s mission is to engage a child’s curiosity in nature and science.

Vision

The new JMZ will be a truly inclusive museum and zoo where children with disabilities and their caregivers feel welcome. Experiences will engage the inner scientist in all children by utilizing universal design to support physical and developmental needs and learning styles. Not only will all children be able to access the JMZ — children of all abilities will feel delight and inspiration while sharing the experience with their classmates, friends and family.

It also includes Goals, Core Principles of Accessibility (from NEH), and Strategies. I won't detail them here but am happy to share them. It is a one page document — short and sweet so stakeholders read and refer to it. 

I also recommend looking at Chicago Children's Museum which has done some good work in this arena.

Tina Keegan
    Exhibits Director
    Palo Alto Junior Museum and Zoo
    Palo Alto CA