Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-10-2014 10:45 AM
      |   view attached
    Is your museum too popular? Are you annoyed by pesky visitors, ceaseless information requests, and frequent cash drops resulting from busy admissions and shops? Learn how to suck the life and fun out of your museum by following tried and true "worst practices" that will drive visitors screaming from your hallowed halls (see attached). Please share your ideas for "worst practices" perfected at your museum or detected elsewhere. Yes, names may be changed to protect...the guilty.

-------------------------------------------
    Andrew Masich
    President & CEO
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    HistoryMuseumVampires.pdf   205 KB 1 version
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-13-2014 05:45 PM
    I enjoyed the way this article is written; what a creative way to look at all aspects of your museum that feeds into the visitor's experience. I think it would be a great 'checklist' for any museum, history or not. It brought to mind a recent experience at a restaurant...no matter how amazing the food (aka exhibits/museum content), if everything else is lacking that meal isn't going to taste so great after all. Thanks for posting Andrew, I am already sharing this with colleagues. ------------------------------------------- Alissa Whiteley Manager, Air Force One Discovery Center Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation Simi Valley, CA -------------------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE:Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-14-2014 07:49 AM
    Thanks for your kind comments and excellent insights! It's surprising that there are still many museums that can't see themselves through their visitors' eyes and continue practices that discourage visits--beginning with the museum's website. A bad parking experience can suck the fun out of a visit before it even begins. I'd appreciate any additional stories and images that will help make the point to share with colleagues at future conferences and gatherings of museum professionals. It's important for us to "lighten up" once in a while! ------------------------------------------- Andrew Masich President & CEO Senator John Heinz History Center Pittsburgh PA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-14-2014 09:36 AM
    Andrew,

Are you actually going to use this for the basis of a talk? I'd love to attend if so! 

Alice

Alice Rubin
    Senior Manager - Digital Media
    Museum of Jewish Heritage - A Living Memorial to the Holocaust
    New York, NY 10280

• 5.  RE:Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-15-2014 09:04 AM
    Jim Vaughan and I put together a PowerPoint presentation for the recent AASLH conference in Minnesota. It drew a standing-room-only crowd. The real fun was in working the room and hearing the great stories from other museum professionals. We're thinking of reprising it for "Return of the Vampires"--location TBD.

Andrew Masich
    President & CEO
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 6.  RE: Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-15-2014 03:11 PM
    Hello Andrew,

Excellent discussion topic.

Before I state my worst practice for the DeYoung & Legion of Honor Museums in San Francisco, let me say I understand the US is at war. With that being said, I find the search your handbag at the door practice completely over the top.

Terrorists do not care enough about San Francisco to try and bomb us and if they did, I'm sure it would be the Port of Oakland, not the De Young. (Although they might do so for being the ugliest building in the city).

No one has ever thrown paint or chemicals on any work here. If that is what security is looking for they are not going to find it by darting a laser light around my purse.  I've been to museums in 44 countries and to many very grand museums on 3 continents. Although they do check bags in the Louvre when on high alert, the de Young isn't The Louvre. The National Gallery nor the Victoria and Albert in London do not check. I do not for a second think it is doing a thing to protect the museum or the country, its just annoying and pretentious and ruins the museum experience. I've been a member of both for over 25 years and its really put me off what use to be weekly visits.

Uriél Dana
    Fine Artist/Restorer
    Oakland CA

• 7.  RE: Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-15-2014 03:48 PM

I agree with Alissa. This is definitely a creative way to view aspects of the museum and it would be an excellent checklist. The different categories that you mentioned kept coming up in a recent course that I took on audience research and project evaluation. I also really appreciate the mention of "glowering guards." I have met some wonderful guards before, but sometimes I find if you encounter someone who is menacing and feels like they are following you then it completely affects your experience. Sometimes a little customer service training can go a LONG way.

I also think bad practice is not being willing to admit that you do not know information. Visitors may ask a question that you may just not know or forgot in that one moment. I have encountered people, who rather than admit that they do not know the answer, they completely make up the information. Practicing saying, "I do not know," is a method that needs to be in place.

I am definitely this with my coworkers. Thank you again! 

Sincerely,

Ashley

Ashley Scotto
    Education Assistant
    Historic Speedwell
    Morristown, NJ

• 8.  RE: Museum Vampires: Sucking the Life out of your museum?

Posted 10-15-2014 04:58 PM
     I like the points that Ashley raised - I think that many museums, especially art museums, are finding that guards feel intrusive or tend to make visitors nervous.  I remember reading about one museum (I can't remember where) that replaced guards with "gallery attendants".  These staff still performed all the necessary security functions, but they were also trained in being informed about all the art works and how to interact with visitors to provide more knowledge and enhance visits.  So, you got the security as well as an informative and welcoming floor presence, all in the same position.

Also, in response to being comfortable saying "I don't know" - when I worked at the Sciencenter, we decided to print up cards that said "Congratulations!  You stumped the educator" and any staff member or visitor who interacted with the public carried these around.  When someone asked a question that we didn't know the answer to, we would hand that person a card.  The card listed our general information email address and encouraged the person to email their question in and we would research the answer.  In reality, almost no one who received a card ever really emailed us, but it was a good way to own up to the fact that we didn't know something, it made the visitor feel good about asking really in-depth questions, and it showed that we were interested enough in their experience to invest in following up with the correct information.

Miriam Musco
    Director of Education
    Science Museum of Western Virginia
    Roanoke VA