Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vinyl Coated Fencing in a Vault?

Posted 10-23-2015 11:40 AM

All, I'm looking at a Conserve-O-Gram from the National Park Service that suggests using vinyl coated garden fencing to create a hanging wall for storing framed paintings.  http://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/12-01.pdf  They are not suggesting this for a vault so that may be a primary difference between their suggestion and my intended application.  I've always thought vinyl of any kind was to be avoided.

We have several unused compact shelving units in our library vault that have been offered to me for storage.  With little or no budget, I'm looking to convert some of them into compact hanging space.  It may not work for additional reasons, but if I can remove the shelves and replace them with some type of fencing it would give me much needed storage space in a climate-controlled environment.  I certainly don't want to introduce anything harmful into the vault though.  Would you use vinyl coated fencing in such a situation, and if not, what would you use?

Thanks for any DIY ideas.  Managing our small art collection is only one of several hats I wear so I'm afraid I don't have as much background in conservation or museum studies as I wish I had.

Jacqueline Tygart, BFA, MLIS

Associate Librarian for Art, Architecture, and Behavioral Sciences

Drury Art Collection Curator

Drury University, F. W. Olin Library

900 N. Benton

Springfield, MO  65802

Architecture Library Facebook Page

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vinyl Coated Fencing in a Vault?

Posted 10-24-2015 03:25 PM

I agree with you that in general, putting vinyl in collections areas should be avoided, though perhaps in the grand scheme of things in this instance, it won't matter much. However, there are other materials you can use, and if you search for fence materials, you will likely find a huge range of galvanized materials, from chicken wire (too week) to corral fence panels (very strong, but may be overkill). I have made some serviceable art storage racks on the cheap, so I know it can work. If you want the really good stuff, you could contact Crystalizations Systems, Inc., and ask what they could supply. I worked with them a number of times, and they were always pleasant to work with, and at times, ingenious. Spacesaver and others might help, too. I don't know if they would be willing to sell you just the panels, but why not? It's better than not selling you anything. There are some good choices out there. Good luck in your project.

------------------------------
    Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus
    Newport Restoration Foundation
    Newport RI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more