Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Adhering Labels to Drywall in a Humid Environment

Posted 10-22-2015 01:22 PM

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for how to adhere labels to drywall in a location where the humidity levels fluctuate drastically? Currently, I am using a strong double sided tape, but the labels constantly fall off of the walls. I am in need of a product that can be applied to the back of the label and then affixed to the wall. The labels themselves are paper mounted on a thin black cardboard, so they are not very heavy. I have a few constraints since this is an office space: I cannot use any product that will ultimately take off the paint or cause other damage to the wall, and I do not have the ability to hang plexi label holders in this location. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

------------------------------
    Nicolette Pisha
    Fine Arts Program
    Federal Reserve Board
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Adhering Labels to Drywall in a Humid Environment

Posted 10-23-2015 10:05 AM

You could experiment with using 3-M ATG tape (Adhesive on a removable backing applied with a roller gun). Usually it sticks better to paper than paint and does not take the paint off, but it depends on the paint so try it in an inconspicuous location - leave a label up for a month or two and see what happens. If it does stick too tightly you could dribble UnSeal to release it without leaving a stain. There are two varieties of ATG tape: the regular is stickier than the gold. There are also removable putties available but they can leave an oily residue on flat or eggshell surfaces.

Susan Barnett
    Creative Arts Professional

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Adhering Labels to Drywall in a Humid Environment

Posted 10-23-2015 10:26 AM

One of my favorite tricks is to apply blue painter's tape to the wall to protect it. Then adhere to that using a super heavy duty tape - VHB or velcro are good. I'm not sure if the painter's tape will hold up in your humid environment, but it's worth a try.

Also, newly painted walls can off-gas for 5 days or so. So, let the paint dry as long as possible before you try to adhere the labels.

I'm assuming you are printing in-house. You could also have an outside vendor print them onto 3M repositionable vinyl, which would not be too expensive and would save you the cost of the tape which can be very pricey. Again, you'd have to test this out. A printer also might be able to offer you some other products that are resistant to humidity but won't damage the walls.

Please post if you find a solution - I'm curious to know what works in your case.

Best wishes,

Johanna

--

Johanna Goldfeld Design, LLC
    Graphic and Exhibition Design
    Tel: 718-789-1238

Visit my website: www.jgoldfeld-design.com
    Read my blog:
    www.jgoldfeld-design.com/blog
    Sign up for my newsletter: Pointers - Tips, ideas, and inspiration from the world of exhibition and graphic design 

Johanna Goldfeld
    Exhibition & Graphic Designer
    Brooklyn NY

• 4.  RE: Adhering Labels to Drywall in a Humid Environment

Posted 10-23-2015 12:43 PM

Hi, Nicolette:

I've had good luck with Remo Two from Essentra (http://www.essentraspecialtytapes.com/Remo-Two). However; try out a sample, because it will not stick to certain 2-in-1 paints that have the primer mixed in. Another option is Velcro, which I buy from United Manufacturers Supply; it usually comes cleanly off the wall, but not always.

You may also find that thin paper-on-card/matte board labels warp off the wall, but switching to paper on foam core is much more stable. I use 3M positionable mounting adhesive (http://www.unitedmfrs.com/cart/detail.cfm?item=3430) to adhere the paper to the foam backing board, and Remo to attach the foam to the wall. 

Melanie Solomon
    Curator, US Customs and Border Protection