Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Valuing historic archaeology collections for loan

Posted 10-14-2015 03:42 PM

Hello,

We are organizing a traveling exhibit featuring artifacts from a WWII Japanese American internment site. We are having a hard time assigning insurance values to the objects. I have heard a variety of things to consider - cost of the field school the objects were collected, market value (which doesn't really apply here), cost of conservation/restoration, even pro-rated travel and salary for the faculty leading the field school.

Does anyone have a certain formula they use to value these type of objects (or any archaeological objects)? Or have an experience they would like to share?

Thank you!

Brooke Rohde

------------------------------
    Brooke Rohde
    Curator of Collections
    Museum of Anthropology, University of Denver
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Valuing historic archaeology collections for loan

Posted 10-15-2015 10:29 AM

Our policy is to value the item at current market value plus the costs of conservation.  Ted L. Gragg, South Carolina Civil War Museum

Ted Gragg
    South Carolina Civil War Museum
    Myrtle Beach SC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Valuing historic archaeology collections for loan

Posted 10-15-2015 04:45 PM

I asked this question many years ago & the answer I received, from a large museum with extensive archaeological collections, was they based the value on what it would cost -- in today's dollars -- to put a crew in the field & excavate the artifacts.  If conservation was required, it too should be included.  If there are any ongoing storage costs associated with maintaining the collection I think they too should be included in that number.  Sorry, no magic formula :).

Susan Maltby, Conservator
    Toronto ON