Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Discreet Sound Systems?s

Posted 09-21-2015 04:46 PM
    Hello Everyone! We are a Municipal Park District in Northern California, and currently have nine Visitor Centers and miles and miles of interpretive trails! We are in the process of rectifying an on-going problem in one of our Visitor Centers. Unfortunately there is a confluence of sound in one small area where two and possibly three exhibits with audio collide. We are attempting to capture and/or direct at least one of the audio sources with "Discreet or Directional" sound devices. I am looking for recommendations based upon best use practices of any of the Directional sound devices out there in the marketplace? I.e. Secret Sound, Acouspade, Soundlazer. . .? Please let me know if you have any input yay or nay to any specific device?!

Many thanks, Rick Kitamata

Exhibit Design - CDG
    East Bay Regional Park District
    Pleasanton, CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Discreet Sound Systems?s

Posted 09-22-2015 10:04 AM

There is a product called Audio Spotlight which uses ultrasound wave as "carrier waves" to carry audible signal, allowing the program audio to be focused into a specific area.  These systems are considerably more costly than conventional speakers, but offer impressive sound isolation. 

Audio Spotlight - Add sound and preserve the quiet.

Holosonics remove preview
    Audio Spotlight - Add sound and preserve the quiet.
    Add sound and preserve the quiet.
    View this on Holosonics >

Michael

------------------------------
    Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Discreet Sound Systems?s

Posted 09-23-2015 10:30 AM

I have limited experience with a few different types of equipment:

We have a pair of flat panel phased array speakers that, at least when reflecting off of our marble floors and sheetrock ceilings, made voices have disturbing mechanical cricket echos.

Another array speaker in a bar form factor, again in a less than acoustically perfect room, still had quite a bit of spill/reflected sound audible well beyond the doorway into the next gallery.

The only units I've seen that seem to have really focused sound with little reflection are the types with the plexi hemispheres. I'm not fond of the look of pendant salad bowls . . . but they seem to work well in carpeted spaces.

I'd love to hear other experiences and any recommendations.

Regards,

Tim

Timothy Wintemberg
    Director of Exhibition Design
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ