Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-15-2015 03:08 PM

I'm working with a nonprofit that is building a new museum from the ground up.  Much of their support and interest so far has come from their fellow retirees in their profession.  But now they are wondering how to get and keep the interest and support of newer employees, particularly the millennials who haven't shown much interest in the history of the profession or this group's desire to preserve that history in a museum.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks so much.

------------------------------
    Patti Sewall

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-16-2015 01:05 PM

Hello Patti,

Do you have a Facebook or Instagram page?  Engaging millennials on social media with the use of hashtags can be an effective tool for outreach.

All the best,

Joi

Joi Jackson Perle

631.329.3568 | joi@longhouse.org

www.longhouse.org

Landscape Awards Lecture and Luncheon,  September 26

Surf Craft: Design and the Culture of Board Riding, on exhibit through October 10

Above the Treetops, A Drone Photography Workshop, October 17

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-17-2015 11:17 AM

Hi Patti -

Why not convene a small focus group of millennials and actually ask them what they'd like to see in the new museum? If there is some enthusiasm, you can also try creating a junior board or young professionals committee and let them lead some projects that bring others into the fold. I have a feeling that much of it is going to be about how the information is presented (the more engaging the better!).

Margaux

Margaux Kendall
    Museum of Flight
    Seattle WA

• 4.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-17-2015 02:48 PM

I agree with Margaux,. Millennials also like to see impact of their work, so it could be exciting for them to know they're helping form a museum from the ground up. See if you can recruit a millennial for your board or committee leadership too.

Dawn Salerno
    Director of Education
    Mystic Arts Center
    Mystic CT

• 5.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-18-2015 11:26 AM

What a wonderful idea Margaux!

Niquole Primiani
    Director of Programs
    New Jersey Historical Commission
    Trenton NJ

• 6.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-18-2015 12:30 PM

I definitely agree that asking millennials what they are looking for in a museum is very important. In our research we've found that the majority of our millennial users tend to be focused more on experiential exhibitions than a lecture based approach. Short content snippets, mixed with a story, behind the scenes video/audio, and explanations and tours provided as if their friend was explaining something to them. 

This coupled with attempting to remove negative signage such as "no pictures" , "no cell phones", "no talking" and creating a more communal and welcoming environment :) can do wonders. 

Also having events that appeal to the younger generation where they can learn something, meet with friends and make new ones, and look forward to attending can be a great way to spur new interest. The PEM in Massachusetts has really taken a great step forward on this, with Museum Hackathons, interactive exhibits and lots of fun events!

Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to share any of our research and UX/UI findings with you :).

Zachariah Reiner
    Product Lead
    Cuseum.com
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-18-2015 12:17 PM

Hi Patti- You're already halfway there if your cohort of mostly retirees is invested in appealing to a younger audience.  Some of the suggestions here are excellent, developing a social network presence and going directly to your target audiences through focus group and discussions. If you plan to have objects or stories in the museum, you can include your millennials in the collections outreach to bring their material presence into the museum as well as their experiences and perspective.  You'd be surprised at how often someone's personal memento or story can be meaningful in a larger context.  This is a great way to expand "ownership" and encourage long term support. I've been involved with some similar museum start ups and would be glad to discuss. Feel free to get in touch at the contact below.       

Stephen Estrada
    Museum Planning and Design                                                                                           Silver Spring, MD                                                                               se@stephenestradaconsulting.com                                                                                     301-503-0036

• 8.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-18-2015 04:19 PM

Many thanks to all of you posting here.  These are all excellent suggestions!  We're working on the social media profile, and now I'm excited to introduce these other suggestions to them at our next big meeting in a couple of weeks. Convening a millennial focus group, adding a millennial to our board, and making sure to engage millennials in what they want to see in the museum are all ideas we'll be exploring in depth.

Also, good point, Zachariah, about removing the negative signage.  I hadn't thought of that!  I don't imagine you grow much support from millennials when you ask them to put their phones away!

Patti Sewall
    Rancho Murieta CA

• 9.  RE: Engaging Millennials

Posted 09-21-2015 09:40 AM

In addition to the good advice offered by others, I'd suggest that you review the excellent research conducted by LaPlaca Cohen. Their "Culture Track" report contains god insights about the cultural behaviors of multiple generations. You should be able to access it from their website.

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH