Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Request to purchase accessioned item

Posted 08-31-2015 10:25 AM

Hello - 

We recently received a letter from a auction house/art acquisition company informing us that they had been hired by a client to try and obtain items made within a certain country.  As our collections are listed on our website I am assuming that they found such an item and then sent us a letter asking if we would be willing to return it to its country of origin either for free or at a cost.  

I was taken aback by this letter and do not know how to respond and hoped that someone has received similar communications and could give me some advice.  Maybe its because I always associate the return of items to home countries as being taken during a war or other period of strife or it could be that we are such a small house and garden museum that I am shocked we have something that would be sought after in such a way.

My honest fear is that if anything was ever deaccessioned, for any reason, that certain staff/board members would see it as an open invitation to sell the entire collection piece by piece.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you, Lenora

------------------------------
    Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Request to purchase accessioned item

Posted 08-31-2015 10:54 AM

If your museum has clear title to the objects in question (Deeds of Gift, etc.), then you are under no obligation to return any objects to anyone unless they have documented proof that they were stolen or in some other way illegally obtained by the donor.  This, of course, could just be a phishing scam.

David Beard
    Director
    Museum of the Gulf Coast
    Port Arthur TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Request to purchase accessioned item

Posted 09-01-2015 09:08 AM

Thanks for replying.  We do have a clear title for the item so I'm not worried there.  I guess it could just be a scam - should I just ignore it or do you think I should respond that we are not interested?

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    New Orleans LA

• 4.  RE: Request to purchase accessioned item

Posted 09-01-2015 09:29 AM

Disclosure: I'm an art historian, not a lawyer.

I would ignore it. It sounds super fishy (phishy?) and I can't see any good coming out of opening any lines of communication with this business/individual. If they are legitimately seeking restitution/repatriation, you'd be getting a letter from a lawyer, not an auction house. Suuuuree...you'll "return it to the country of origin". Riiiiight.

You've got clear title to this item, and I'm assuming a decent understanding of its provenance, and as far as you've said, no intention of deaccessioning it. 

I also agree with you that it would set a bad precedent. If for whatever reason your org gave up this item, what's to stop the pipeline? It creates a bad standard for deaccessioning. Deaccessioning, of course, is part of good collections management practice, when done thoughtfully and carefully. When done for financial benefit and ease, it is a minefield and compromises professional standards and undermines the public trust in the organization. It literally never ends well for anyone. 

Cheers,

Tracey 

Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA

• 5.  RE: Request to purchase accessioned item

Posted 09-01-2015 11:42 AM

I agree with the other comments.  

You have clear and defined title to the objects and are under no obligation to respond.  This does indeed sound fishy and should be ignored.  There is absolutely no reason to worry about this or to communicate with this company.

If there was a legal claim to an object, you would hear from a lawyer.  

Otherwise, leave this dodgy hot potato alone.  I think it is a scam.

Regards,

Linda

Linda Nelson
    Registrar
    Maryland Science Center
    Baltimore MD

• 6.  RE: Request to purchase accessioned item

Posted 09-02-2015 11:41 AM

I have been approached by people requesting the same thing.  In particular, a family member that didn't like that his cousin donated something formerly belonging to his grandfather.  I think as educators, it is important to explain why we can't sell accessioned items.  Let them know that the object is in the public trust and as long as it meets your mission, is not redundant or damaged beyond repair, you have no reason to deaccession it.  Also, if you do deaccession it, because it IS in the public trust, you have an ethical responsibility to try to transfer it to another educational repository. (at least this is the spiel I give...)   

Dana Neitzel
    Curator
    San Mateo County Historical Association
    Redwood City CA

• 7.  RE: Request to purchase accessioned item

Posted 09-08-2015 09:28 AM

Thank you for all your help - this has been very useful!  The idea that the item is in the public trust as we are a museum is a great point. 

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    New Orleans LA