Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

• 1.  Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-06-2015 03:33 PM
    Edited by Nicole Smith 08-06-2015 04:04 PM

Hello,

I have recently decided that I want to find a way to devote my career to making museums more accessible. It seems the route I should take is to get a MA in Museum Studies. However, I am having a very difficult time finding museum studies programs that deal with accessibility. I know that physical accessibility will be covered no matter where I go, but what about intellectual accessibility?  Where is the education on what to do with visitors that have a disability after they have passed through the entryway of your exhibit and want to have a full experience? Does anyone know of a good Museum Studies masters program that delves into accessibility a bit more than just the standard? 

Thanks,

Nicole

------------------------------
    Nicole Smith
    Lead Public Service Representative                                                                                                                                                           Missouri History Museum                                                                                                                                                                          

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-07-2015 08:41 AM

Nicole,

I think this is a wonderful path that you are taking. I have brought this need up within my institution as well and, although we are taking small steps to build intellectual accessibility, it is far from an industry standard. I would also be interested if you happen to find such an MA program.

All Best,

Carmen

Carmen Derrick
    Project Coordinator
    Ohio History Center - Ohio History Connection
    Columbus OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-07-2015 10:37 AM

Hi Nicole,

Have you looked at the Musuem Studies Program at John F. Kennedy University? I graduated from there, and we had a lot of great discussions about making museums more accessible to all different types of people. But, in particular we had some great discussions and guest speakers cover this topic in the education classes I took. There is also another great class that you would take called Museum and Communities that covers a very broad range of inclusiveness. Beyond the classes, you're required to do at least 2 internships and you can really tailor those and your masters project to your interests. For example, I'm really passionate about museum theatre, so I was able to focus my internship and final project on that subject. I definitely recommend checking out the program. It's a wonderful community and a solid program. Wishing you all the best on your journey!

Take care,

Amber

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-07-2015 08:11 PM

Hi Nicole,

We offer a course on accessibility in the JHU MA in Museum Studies program and touch on the topic in various other courses. Happy to discuss further with you.

Phyllis Hecht
    Director, Museum Studies
    Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-08-2015 10:08 AM

Nicole,

Considering that the discussion regarding inclusion has been underway for several decades (at least) and is not confined to North America, you may wish to broaden your search and review the existing literature for suggestions regarding scholarship and scholars (hence academia) on the subject.

I think you'll find quite a number of papers about inclusion in Museum Management & Curatorship, for example, and I think Rutledge has published multiple books written on that topic.

There are likely other sources as well.

Kevin Coffee
    Chicago IL

• 6.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-10-2015 05:41 PM

Hello,

I would add that you should not assume that all Museum's are physically accessible, and don't forget about sensory disabilities! Kevin is right, there are decades of work in this area, though not at every museum, and not for all disabilities in each institution.

Hannah Goodwin
    Manager of Accessibility
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-11-2015 09:30 AM

Hannah is correct in stating that not all facilities are physically accessible. I have a mild disability that makes me essentially immobile after a very short time of standing. I hesitate to go to museums (or other venues, truthfully) when I cannot see my next opportunity to sit down. Since I am an unaccompanied woman, offers of wheelchair assistance are not helpful. Although I love historic houses and properties, my situation makes it difficult to see the places I want to see, much less actually staff those places. As a student of historic preservation, I do not want to see facilities make changes that affect the aesthetics of these wonderful places. This is definitely a conundrum that I deal with every day. It has been interesting watching my classmates and faculty (whom I totally respect and adore) work through these issues with me as I enter this new career.

There is much to be done, and not done. Opening the discussion is a great first step.

Betsy Deiterman
    Graduate Candidate
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 8.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-08-2015 12:23 PM

Hello,

I am currently a graduate student at the University of Memphis and I am doing my practicum work on museum inclusion. My program is an Applied Anthropology Masters with a Graduate Certificate in Museum Studies. The program I'm in is very individually tailored to specific needs of the student. I might suggest doing something similar to myself, possibly majoring in public health, or taking a medical anthropology track where you can focus on disabilities but also getting a museum studies certificate to get your museum training. I would be happy to discuss with you more if you would like. Good luck!
    Colleen McCartney
    Graduate Assistant

• 9.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-09-2015 10:09 AM

Like Colleen, I am currently a graduate student as well, but at Drexel University in the "Museum Leadership" program.  I am also doing my practicum work on museum accessibility with a focus on physical accessibility.  Our program is tailored to your specific interest, and I think that may be your best route to take.  Find a program where you can get your museum education, but also round out your studies with courses related to the specific area of disability you wish to learn more about.  I personally do not know of a program focused solely on museum accessibility, but do know many programs allow you to focus your study.  

Good Luck!

Benjamin Baker
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-09-2015 10:06 PM

Hi Nicole,

Like others have suggested, I'd consider a program or certificate that offers/requires/supplements interdisciplinary studies.

I recently graduated with a masters in Museology from the University of Washington. The program's emphasis on interdisciplinary course work allowed my cohort to strongly focus their interests in museums: feminist/gender studies, animal behavior, artificial intelligence, forensic anthropology, architectural design, PTSD, etc. (Forgive me fellow grads if I'm simplifying your work!)  

I think a certificate in museum studies paired with another degree or a program that highly values pursuit of your particular interests would work well for you. It's a very important, understudied, aspect of museum work.

Best of luck!

---------------------------
    Elizabeth Rudrud

Coordinator of Visitor Experiences

The Center for Wooden Boats

Seattle WA

• 11.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-12-2015 09:39 AM

Hi Nicole,

I would emphasize that you look at graduate programs that are structured to support your particular area of interest. At first glance, you probably will not find very many programs delving as deep as you want into the topic of accessibility. The graduate program I did enabled me to embed my own professional emphasis into each course and project. Professors guided me, facilitated introductions to museum professionals and academics, and were eager to learn from me as I expanded the discourse on my area of interest. 

When exploring graduate programs, explain very clearly your intentions and ask pointed questions about how they can support your goals. A good program will embrace this and work with you in concrete ways to make it happen.  

Mark Schlemmer

Associate Registrar for Collections

New-York Historical Society

• 12.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-15-2015 04:50 PM

You should investigate the Leadership in Museum Education program at Bank Street Graduate School of Education in NY.  It is a 2-year weekend program that deals with most aspects of accessibility.  Most of the members and leaders of NY's large community of staff that promote accessibility in museums and related organizations (as well as the leadership in the volunteer consortium) came through one of the Bank Street programs. 

Barbara Cohen-Stratyner PhD
    Curator of Exhibitions
    New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
    New York NY

• 13.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-15-2015 05:09 PM

You should investigate the Leadership in Museum Education program at Bank Street Graduate School of Education in NY.  It is a 2-year weekend program that deals with most aspects of accessibility.  Most of the members and leaders of NY's large community of staff that promote accessibility in museums and related organizations (as well as the leadership in the volunteer consortium) came through one of the Bank Street programs. 

Curator of Exhibitions
    New York NY

• 14.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-18-2015 06:56 AM

Greetings,

In the applied museum education and interpretation course that I teach at CGP, our students receive in-service training from special education professionals at a local school district, as well as instruction from museums who have been offering programs to people with a wide variety of abilities, including cogitive.  Working with the local school district, the CGP students plan and offer a program for students and young adults on the autism spectrum.

We also enjoy a long partnership with Pathfinder Village, a school and residential setting in Edmeston, NY for people with Down Syndrome, as well as a number of other physical and cognitive conditions. Our students visit the school and community for observation.  They then work with education and programming staff there to design and offer programs for students in the school.  New this year will be an outreach offering to aging adult members of the residence community there.

Independent CGP student projects have included the creation of a tactile graphics map and interpretive staff training materials on universal accessibility. Some of our students also intern at museums who offer inclusive programs.

Please feel free to contact me to talk more about this, if you'd like.

Kathryn Boardman
    Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

Katie@cherryvalley.com

• 15.  RE: Accessibility in Museum Studies Graduate Programs

Posted 08-19-2015 10:35 AM

We have all learned from the supportive responses to your question about graduate studies, but please keep in mind that there are non-academic sources of information that you can tap into, as well.  Check AAM's DivCom or the Museum Access Consortium in NY (Home | Museum Access Consortium

Museum Access Consortium remove preview
    Home | Museum Access Consortium

View this on Museum Access Consortium >

), or its equivalents in other cities.  

Curator of Exhibitions
    New York NY