Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Introduction

Posted 10-06-2014 03:02 PM
    Hello fellow Museum Junction community members,

I'm Mary Ann Gabriel, an emerging museum professional excited to be embarking on my encore career. I recently completed the Graduate Certificate Program in Museum Collections Care and Management at The George Washington University, which I would highly recommend to any museum professional seeking an outstanding distance learning opportunity.  I currently volunteer in collections at History Colorado in Denver and the Douglas County History Repository in Castle Rock, Colorado.  As a member of the local county historic preservation board in a quickly growing, previously rural area, I advocate for archaeological survey and historic structure assessment on county and private properties prior to ground disturbance and development.  Additionally, I developed and instruct a heritage hunt activity incorporating GPSs with relevant cultural content at an outdoor education center which features historic structures on the property.

My primary professional interest is in supporting small museums and collecting facilities in implementing best practices in collections care and management, including disaster preparedness and recovery.  Recently many local cultural resources have been affected by the devastating wildlalnd fires and floods the Colorado Front Range has experienced.  I look forward to helping community based museum staffs network with the incredible expertise available online through the Museum Junction.

-------------------------------------------
    Mary Ann Gabriel
    -------------------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more