Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Staff asked to purchase membership?

• 1.  Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-08-2015 04:20 PM

Hello (again),

Apologies for the back-to-back questions, but I need additional feedback on a question I posted to MUSEUM-L a couple months ago.

What do you think of the practice of asking staff to purchase membership to the museum?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Amy Kelch
    Membership Coordinator, Reference Desk Coordinator, Collections Inventory Assistant
    Sharlot Hall Museum
    Prescott, AZ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 08:52 AM

I can't imagine not supporting your own museum through membership or donations; I have done so at each of the museums for which I have worked in my decades in the business. That said, I think that requiring your staff to purchase a membership (which is how even a very polite request is likely to come across) is coercive and wildly inappropriate. 

My two cents from the front line...

Jay Templin
    Museum Interpretive Site Supervisor
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 09:01 AM

I agree with Jay that requiring staff to purchase a membership is inappropriate.  I wonder if museum professionals coming into the business understand the importance of supporting their institution in this manner.  Where in the process are we telling our team members that it is smart to support your institution through a membership? Maybe it is here through our on-line discussions.

Marian Ann Montgomery PhD
    Curator of Clothing and Textiles
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 4.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 09:25 AM

I've never worked at a museum where I was required to purchase a membership at that institution, but at one place I worked, as a perk and after working there for 3 months, I was issued a membership. It seems odd to me that staff would be required to purchase a membership to the museum they worked at. Is that common practice?

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 09:59 AM

Our museum gives staff members a free membership as a year-end "bonus". However, many of us also choose to purchase a membership as a show of support/donation back to our worthy cause.

Mary Ladrick
    Manager of Public Programs
    Taft Museum of Art
    Cincinnati OH

• 6.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 10:04 AM

Hello - 

I too have always purchased a membership to where I work as I think it shows I support the institution because of what it does and not just because I work there. I wish co-workers would do the same but very few do which might have more to do with their background/past jobs than anything else. Also I do not believe we are always good at explaining to ourselves our own worth.  Did the person asking you to make the purchase give a reason or just said you had to?

For two years now during the month of August a group of museums in town have opened their doors to each others membership and everyone on staff was given a month long membership so they could visit other institutions for free but I think only one additional staff person purchased a membership after that.

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA

• 7.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 10:27 AM

I was once asked to both work at and pay to attend my former museum's annual gala.

Given the average compensation of most museum professionals, asking them to buy memberships, pay to attend required work events, and expecting that they will contribute to annual or capital campaigns strike me as conditions or expectations of employment strikes me as out of touch with reality. These are absurd requests and bad ideas from the standpoint of employee moral. They are little more than ways to pad numbers.

How about the museum provides a complementary family membership to all employees as part of their compensation package?

db

Daniel Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology - Beloit College
    Beloit WI

• 8.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 12:27 PM

I agree that staff should not be required to purchase a membership and/or make a donation.  My institution does provide a family membership as a benefit.  Having said that, however, as an administrator I can tell you the organization is more invested in the future of employees who demonstrate that they are invested in organization through donations.  Donations do not have to be large, but contributing to the annual campaign or specific projects is a good way to show that the organization matters to you as an employee.  I have a hard time going out and asking other people for money if I don't believe in the organization or project enough to support it myself. I definitely have to throw the penalty flag though on requiring employees to pay to attend an event they are working.  It is not like you get to sit back and enjoy it.

Kathy Dickson
    Director Museums and Historic Sites
    Oklahoma Historical Society
    Oklahoma City OK

• 9.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 02:02 PM

I agree that if you have the ability it is always great to contribute to a cause or organization you believe in. However, many museum professionals show their support and belief in the organization they work for by simply doing the best job they can possibly do. I can't think of a bigger show of support than someone devoting their professional life to an organization.

Expecting employees to contribute monetarily and purchase memberships is not something that is, or should be, the norm in the field.

Matthew MacVittie
    Collections & Exhibits Manager
    Seward House Museum
    Auburn NY

• 10.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-10-2015 09:05 AM

Well-stated Matthew.

if the one of the important metrics by which administrators decide whether their employees are invested is through donations and memberships then it's time for the administrators to set aside their balance sheets and step into the galleries. Deeply engaged audiences and top-notch collections care are better ways to tell if employees care about the institution.

Daniel Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology - Beloit College
    Beloit WI

• 11.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 10:37 AM

Hi Amy,

We have a standing 50% off offer for all staff members to purchase a membership (not valid on upper level memberships) and they can also purchase 2 a year at 50% off as gifts for friends. We definitely do not require it. 

The big draw in getting staff to join is that they can attend our members programs that are socially driven. We allow all our staff to attend our lectures and public programs (based on space available) since we encourage them to stay up to date on our research and collection, but our members social events are strictly invite-only or must be a member to attend. This has worked out pretty well for us and staff members seem to agree it is a fair policy.

Jessica Casinelli
    Membership Manager
    Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
    Miami FL

• 12.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 10:41 AM

This is a fascinating discussion with great points on both sides. But from my perspective, the goodwill and morale-building generated by a museum providing its staff with complimentary memberships trumps all. At the very least, if a museum feels for whatever reason it can't do this, requiring membership (without even a discount) feels harsh.

One practical point: depending on how the membership is structured, staff can use their benefits to introduce others to the museum, which has great value to the institution if these people then become members/supporters.

Laura Caruso
    Head of Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 13.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-09-2015 02:14 PM

Membership folks at the DMNS offer staff memberships at a significantly discounted rate, and around the holidays we are also offered a chance to give additional memberships to friends & family at that rate.  So it has the feel of a carrot rather than a stick.

Gianna Sullivan
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

• 14.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-10-2015 08:39 AM

We have only been open a few years now (formerly the Museum of Science and Nature + The Science Place in Fair Park in Dallas), and during the inaugural year at the Perot Museum, complimentary memberships were offered to staff. Now, we offer 50% membership discount for both PT/FT staff - and volunteers who have met a certain service hour level - and it is not compulsory. 

We also extend a 25% employee gift membership discount and during the winter holiday season it is 50%, which allows staff to “give the gift of science” to many friends and family members.

I agree that it is a great practice for an individual to purchase a membership at the institution in which they work, but I doubt we would ever require this, especially since we have many entry level part-time staff/college students who might find it cost prohibitive. They provide support in so many other ways with their hard work, so I feel it is a personal decision for them.

Katie Powell
    Membership Manager
    Perot Museum of Nature and Science
    Dallas TX

• 15.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-10-2015 08:43 AM

The last museum that I worked at made it clear that I was expected to purchase a membership. With the amount that I was getting paid and how much work I was doing it seemed unfair to be expected to purchase a membership instead of offered one for free or at a reduced rate. I would have been more willing to get a membership if I hadn't been told that I had to. 

Christine Clements
    Digital Archivist
    Ancestry.com
    Richmond, VA

• 16.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-10-2015 09:01 AM

I am a museum grad student so I have little experience with museum employment, but I served on the board for a community-level non-profit theatre for many years. As board members, we were required to purchase a membership as a good-faith measure toward our company. The level of membership was at our discretion, but it was openly discussed during the seasonal membership cycle, and all new board members were told directly that this was an expected behavior. The glaring difference here is that the company is all volunteer, so the money from memberships assisted with the financial base of the organization.

As museum employees, I think we should contribute back to our museums to the best of our financial abilities, but I don't think we should be required to. Contributing through membership and attendance at special events shows good faith and moral support for your organization. Remember, people are always watching.

Betsy Deiterman
    Student
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 17.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-10-2015 10:16 AM

I think it's out of touch to require employees to buy a membership. Where I work, all employees are given a membership. We're encouraged to give memberships as gifts, which I think is reasonable. And we're asked to contribute to the annual fund at the end of the year, whether we give $5 or $100, which I also think is reasonable. And then, when we are designing new programs, or restructuring old programs, we're always thinking about how they can add value to a membership, as a selling point to get people to buy one, at any level. What we're mainly encouraged to do here, is to sell memberships. Staff is already here, we want other people coming through the gate. Staff buying memberships is just to pad the numbers.

Florence Brem
    Children's Program Coordinator
    Dixon Gallery and Gardens
    Memphis TN

• 18.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-10-2015 12:01 PM

I think that how staff/employees feel about being asked to contribute financially to their museum (whether through membership purchase or donations) might be directly proportional to their position and the salary that goes with it.  Those who struggle to make ends meet on the salary they earn (often the public face of the museum who build the exhibits, create and teach educational content, facilitate programs, sell tickets, etc.) may find such a request to be insensitive or out of touch.  Every staff member wants their museum to succeed, but economics can heavily influence their perspective. 

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 19.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-11-2015 12:08 AM

Yes, economics does seem to play a part. Employees should be encouraged to show support for their museum, but that is also a two-way street. How do museums show support for their employees? It is not always about the money.

Thank you all for contributing your perspectives. I had never encountered this practice before and was unsure how "normal" it was. I hope I can use input from all of you to help determine the future best practices at our Museum.

Thanks!

Amy Kelch
    Membership Coordinator, Reference Desk Coordinator, Collections Inventory Assistant
    Sharlot Hall Museum
    Prescott, AZ

• 20.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-11-2015 02:52 PM

To look at it from another perspective: I went to a meetup for Museum Professionals a few months ago at a museum and we were all offered free one-year memberships if we followed up with the proper person. I just received my first invitation to an opening there and will probably go. So, this free membership is encouraging me to engage with a museum that otherwise probably would have fallen off my radar.

I think offering free memberships to especially to emerging museum professionals is wise, as it may choose to keep the membership and stay tuned in to your institution even after they move on to other positions.

I personally don't think it's appropriate to require employees to become members.

Johanna Goldfeld
    Exhibition & Graphic Designer                                                                                                                               www.jgoldfeld-design.com
    Brooklyn, NY

• 21.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-12-2015 11:47 AM

We provide a basic family membership to all full-time employees as a benefit. If the employee chooses to "upgrade" the membership to obtain additional benefits, they can do so through payroll deductions. We ask a lot of our employees and this is one way they can share their place of work with their families or partners.  We do invite employees to participate in capital campaigns and our annual appeal and some do. 

---------------------------
    Richard Block
    CEO
    Santa Barbara Zoo
    Santa Barbara CA

• 22.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-13-2015 09:10 AM
    The key word is "invite." No one likes to be told they "must" do something, even if their inclinations already lean that way.

Regarding the occasional complaint throughout this thread that it's adding insult to injury t(o demand that employees dig into their own pockets, when so many museum workers are so poorly paid): what drew you to the job in the first place? And is the issue with your personal employer, or is it a much bigger issue to convince a much broader spectrum that your motivation  to work in the field of history, art, zoos, botanical gardens (pick your discipline) has at least as much value as the professions that pay far higher wages?

• 23.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-13-2015 09:44 AM

Interesting discussion, and a couple of thoughts:

Asking employees to donate to the museum they work at is essentially asking them to take a pay cut to support the museum - it is cannibalizing your resources. This makes little sense to me from either a "worker devotion" standpoint or a fundraising perspective. 

If you follow the argument that it shows your employees are dedicated to the institution, then the logical end-point is that employees are basically well-paid volunteers - would the most dedicated employee donate all of her salary to become a volunteer? This feels very much like arguments used to devalue the work of museum workers and generally of workers in women-majority fields, of which many feminist scholars have done an excellent job of de-bunking.

If you're asking workers to donate because even employee memberships are an important fundraising stream, then it is transparently a wage cut. The smarter HR move would just be to factor-in "membership" to your institution as a package of benefits and reduce over-all salaries.  Paying workers with one hand while holding out the other is just foul - reminiscent of being paid in company script. 

Just because we love what we do is no reason to accept sub-standard working conditions or pay for it. 

/twocents
    Alexander Tronolone
    Senior Educator
    Brooklyn Historical Society
    Brooklyn NY

• 24.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-14-2015 11:33 AM

I think Alexander Tronolone points to something fundamental - and perhaps fundamentally askew - about the ways in which some American museums approach 'membership' and indeed their various stakeholders.

I think one should assume that museum staff are exceptionally close stakeholders, invested in the educational and preservational mission. They are - should be - advocates of that mission. In that capacity, it seems (at the very least) a bit condescending for one of their organizational peers to offer them a membership in the very organization for which they are the activating force.

If staff are not that force, something is amiss. Trustees may not be providing proper guidance and/or the ED is not doing what an ED should do.

Secondly, building the membership of a museum is building circles of participation in the life of the mission among those who are not otherwise already part of its day to day activity. And of course a key act of support is funding programs, collections management, conservation and other operating costs. Thus members join an organization to participate in that way. They also join to support in other activities, as volunteers in those operations - and that is also very important in the life of the museum.

Of course, museums with strong membership programs understand all this, so perhaps I am hectoring the choir and apologize. But some do not. I offer that those who ask staff to pony up a 'membership fee' are among the latter. As Mr. Tronolone's note suggests, rather that building stakeholder support, such requests may generate an opposite sentiment.

</soapbox>

Kevin Coffee
    Chicago IL

• 25.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-14-2015 02:49 PM

Deborah Smith raises some interesting questions.  I doubt that many choose careers in the museum field under the illusion that their compensation will be Zuckerbergesque, and I think most understand that there are other careers that are more lucrative.  It seems that currently the task at hand is not so much to convince all of society that museum workers are as valuable as anesthesiologists and corporate lawyers, but rather to convince museum leadership that their staff should be able to afford to continue doing their jobs with some hope of being able to afford housing, a family, retirement, etc.  (This same issue is surfacing in the for-profit sector as well.)  It seems that too many museums are running on a financial structure built on staff members who have spouses that earn higher incomes.  This causes high turnover and is pushing a lot of good talent away from our field. 

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman Mat

• 26.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-15-2015 09:27 AM

From a personal perspective...requiring staff to purchase membership, and things like "donate to the annual fund, otherwise we can't keep going!" messages put a lot of pressure on staff who already do not make a lot of money. It is basically saying "pay to play". If you cannot afford membership, you cannot afford to work here.

And yes, I know most membership fees are fairly nominal and are a great deal in the scheme of things...but I have personally been in a situation where no, I cannot afford an extra $50 in order to do my job. In my mind, it equates to a financial scrutiny for employment, which further narrows the diversity of the applicant pool when hiring. 

I agree with others who say that this equates to a salary give back. I don't know that I agree with the  "you don't believe in our mission enough to buy a membership!" equation either. No, I love the mission, I love the work, I love the collection- I wouldn't be in this field if I didn't.  But I have medical bills, student loans, mortgage, and an elderly parent in long term care. I just don't have the money (and, because of the above, the time to really enjoy and utilize a membership). 

And what would the consequences be for a staff member who didn't (or couldn't) buy said membership? Dismissal? Discipline? Revocation of job offer? 

I know a lot of staff *do* give freely to their institution- both during and after employment and in their estate planning. They give money and art and objects, and that is wonderful. Many staff purchase memberships as gifts for friends and family as gifts. Those that can and want to give, are giving a great gift. But requiring the purchase of one is not the way forward. 

Cheers,

Tracey
    Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA

• 27.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-20-2015 04:30 PM

Hi--Looks like you have a lot of responses. The UMLAUF (staff of 7) does not require membership of staff.  Some staff are Members. Problem: certain salaried staff don't earn much $$, yet spend considerable extra hours (the equivalent of overtime, for which we don't offer pay) working for the Museum.  If we tallied those as volunteer hours, it would be astonishing.

Katie Edwards PhD
    Curator
    Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum
    Austin TX

• 28.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-21-2015 07:47 AM

Everyone on the payroll (120 FT/PT), are offered a 1-yr complementary family membership when hired.  The staff must complete a membership application and are are responsible for renewal.  Volunteers (400 or so) are encouraged to join and most, not all are members.  All members and volunteers are tracked in our donor/member data base.  I believe this is a best practice for many of the reasons already stated.  To ask or require staff to pay for membership is not the best stewardship or management, but at least recognizes that it is important for all staff to share in the membership experience and understand what and how the museum communicates to members.  The number of responses suggests this is an issue of concern.  

Robert Gutowski
    Director of Public Programs
    Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

• 29.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-22-2015 11:18 AM

We provide family memberships for all FT staff and Individual (1 adult + guest) to PT staff > 25 hrs/week.  Contractors, volunteers, docents, etc. get a 30-50% discount.  Seems to work well and is not abused.

Melissa Felder
    Chief Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA

• 30.  RE: Staff asked to purchase membership?

Posted 07-22-2015 09:43 AM

A free family membership should be offered to all staff members as an employee benefit.  No museum employee should be expected to pay for a membership.

Link Ludington
    Director of Historic Preservation
    Indiana State Museum
    Indianapolis IN