Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Who is your donor database admin?

Posted 07-08-2015 04:13 PM

Hello everyone,

My mid-size museum with about a dozen full-time staff and an army of volunteers just selected a new database for managing members, volunteers, and marketing and media. We are afraid of falling into the same quagmire as we have in our current database with poor data entry control, repetitive and unnecessary user defined fields, etc. and we are considering designating one main Admin to control the data consistency and clear up any unneeded fields and reports, etc. Unfortunately, we do not agree on who would be in the best position to be that Admin - finance, marketing, membership, the director? Anyone else? We do not have a designated development person. However, for us, it is also a question of who has the computer skills and savvy to understand how to manage the web-based database.

I was hoping to find out how everyone manages their donor/membership databases - is there a main admin who has the most access and control? How is access to the database, data entry, and customization controlled?

Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Amy Kelch
    Membership Coordinator, Reference Desk Coordinator, Collections Inventory Assistant
    Sharlot Hall Museum
    Prescott AZ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Who is your donor database admin?

Posted 07-09-2015 01:53 PM

Amy,

Check out Wild Apricot:  Membership Software by Wild Apricot | Get a free trial now!

It's a one-stop shop for membership management, newsletter distribution, dues renewal and more.

Their support staff is skilled and responsive.  Hope this helps!

Wildapricot remove preview
    Membership Software by Wild Apricot | Get a free trial now!
    Powerful, easy-to-use membership software with friendly and knowledgeable support. Get your instant free trial account now!
    View this on Wildapricot >

Elizabeth Holmes
    Audio Tour Provider
    Healdsburg CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Who is your donor database admin?

Posted 07-09-2015 04:11 PM

Dear Amy,

This is a note from our Events Manager here at the UMLAUF from his experience at a previous job: 

The best system I’ve seen involves two people for dedicated database management (with other side duties). When I was working with our SRSA (Sales Reporting System Auditor), we double teamed on projects where I solely handled one area, and she did the other. Then we were cross trained to understand each others entries & data. This system worked well because there were limited people doing the data & a double check system that ensured compliance, and splitting the task between two people assured that if one was out of the office, the other could assist. It also helped to have two people trained on it.

Hope that helps!

Kate Edwards
    Curator
    Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum
    Austin, Texas

Hello everyone,

My mid-size museum with about a dozen full-time staff and an army of volunteers just selected a new database for managing members, volunteers, and marketing and media. We are afraid of falling into the same quagmire as we have in our current database with poor data entry control, repetitive and unnecessary user defined fields, etc. and we are considering designating one main Admin to control the data consistency and clear up any unneeded fields and reports, etc. Unfortunately, we do not agree on who would be in the best position to be that Admin - finance, marketing, membership, the director? Anyone else? We do not have a designated development person. However, for us, it is also a question of who has the computer skills and savvy to understand how to manage the web-based database.

I was hoping to find out how everyone manages their donor/membership databases - is there a main admin who has the most access and control? How is access to the database, data entry, and customization controlled?

Any suggestions?

Amy Kelch
    Membership Coordinator, Reference Desk Coordinator, Collections Inventory Assistant
    Sharlot Hall Museum
    Prescott AZ

• 4.  RE: Who is your donor database admin?

Posted 07-10-2015 03:51 PM

Hi Amy,

We use NEON CRM database software.  Our website manager is the main point person.  We have a team of four additional staff members who enter data (myself, and one person from Membership, Exhibitions, and Fundraising).  We prevent duplication and error through a program that allows the website manager to review entries weekly so that she can catch errors and make sure that the data is in the proper format.

Martha Sielman
    Executive Director
    Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc.
    http://www.SAQA.com

• 5.  RE: Who is your donor database admin?

Posted 07-13-2015 09:15 AM

Hi Amy,

I am the Database Manager at our museum. We use Altru, which handles not only the development side but also the visitor services, shop, and volunteer aspects of the museum. I work under the CFO, because I handle not only data management but also cash receipts and reporting. I have a data entry clerk under me as well. I handle the big database needs and my data entry clerk handles the daily entering of info and clean up projects I assign. The two of us work together to make sure everything that is entered is correct, especially anything that is entered by other staff.

I suggest your database manager live in the development department (or whatever dept is similar to that for your org) or the business office, depending on if they will also handle donations, etc. 

I hope this helps! 

Kristina Gerard
    Database Manager/System Analyst
    Speed Art Museum
    Louisville, KY