Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-23-2015 07:45 PM

I have a friend who is the widow of a tennis celebrity and has her husband's collection.  She's looking for a home for some, or all of it, and I thought someone in this Forum might know where she could start.  Much of it is film/digital, but there are photos, posters, etc.

Although I have left the CVHS Board, I am still an AAM member & continue to enjoy reading the Forum.  CVHS was the third museum board I've been on in my life, so who knows what's around the next corner?  At any rate, my thanks to all of you for sharing!

------------------------------
    Ellen Lloyd Trover
    Former Trustee
    Coachella Valley Historical Society
    Indio CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-24-2015 06:43 AM

You may want to inquire with the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI

Zerah Jakub
    Manager of Education Resources & Outreach 
    George Washington's Mount Vernon
    Mount Vernon VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-24-2015 08:29 AM

Perhaps the National Tennis Hall of Fame, Rhode Island?

Traverse City MI

• 4.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-24-2015 09:25 AM

In addition to the Tennis Hall of Fame, your friend might also check with the State Historical Museum where her husband lived or grew up.  

Marian Ann Montgomery PhD
    Curator of Clothing and Textiles
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 5.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-24-2015 10:08 AM

The International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI has a museum.

https://www.tennisfame.com/

Eliza Cleveland
    Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
    New Haven CT

• 6.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-24-2015 10:36 AM

Ellen,

If your friend would like to contact us about exactly what she has, we would be more than happy to discuss her late husband's collection with her to determine if any of the items would complement or fill in gaps within our collection. She can contact me directly (either by phone at 401-849-3990, ext. 1110 or by email at markham@tennisfame.com).

Cheers,

Nicole

Nicole Markham
    Curator of Collections
    International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum
    Newport RI

• 7.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-25-2015 11:24 AM

My thanks to all of you who responded.  I have passed the Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum information on to my friend. 

As you can imagine, losing her husband has been very difficult, so trying to think through what to do has been difficult.  Your help with this has encouraged her.

Ellen Lloyd Trover
    Former Trustee
    Coachella Valley Historical Society
    Indio CA

• 8.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-24-2015 11:21 AM

The International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI might be interested in the collection.  Or her local history museum, or the local history museum in or near the hometown where her husband spent significant time might also be a place to start.  Do you know if she has a list of the items?  Significant items?  May make it easier to typify the collection to the institution.

Good luck to you in your next museum board career!  Sounds like you are quite the asset to your boards.

Mary Anna Murphy

MAM Exhibit Design

mamexhibitdesign.com

• 9.  RE: Tennis memorabilia

Posted 06-26-2015 07:30 AM

Have you tried the Tennis Museum in Newport? They might be interested in part or all of it and they do have a collection of film, posters, photographs, and so forth.

Deborah Del Gais PhD