Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Retail POS and General Admissions Software

• 1.  Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 05-27-2015 09:51 AM

We are looking for a new Retail POS software system that can also handle General Admissions and simple Group Tour ticketing. 

I realize there are a lot of messages from members that they are also looking for ticketing software - we are also TM Vista users. Has anyone tested and/or selected a combined Shops / General Admissions software system? 

Our Shops Manager is looking seriously at TAM Retail, but I only noticed one message from a TAMs user. Is anyone else using TAM Retail and if so, are you using their Admissions/Ticketing module? How has your experience been?

Thank you

Kathy

------------------------------
    Kathy Allegro
    Director, Information Technology
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 05-28-2015 07:58 AM
    The Gettysburg Seminary Ridge Museum purchased Outbound Software Reservation System when we opened in 2013. It has been easy to use and reliable. We chose it because it is is based on a retail platform for sales and we also use it for shop. It handles online ticketing, group reservations, etc. Easy to use for customers.

Barbara Franco

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 05-29-2015 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info Barbara,

We just started hearing about Outbound and I'll look into it.

Kathy

Kathy Allegro
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 4.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 05-28-2015 08:39 AM

We use TAM specifically because it has POS and Admissions at a lower cost. We really didn't want to use two different systems. The software itself is fine and works well. But we have had problems with support.

You can contact me directly if you would like to talk. endersbyl@michigan.gov

Linda Endersby
    Director
    Michigan Historical Museum
    Lansing MI

• 5.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 05-29-2015 09:52 AM

Thank you Linda. I have heard some rumblings about TAM, but our Shops Director who has been researching it hasn't come across the types of problems I'm seeing on the Forum. 

I appreciate your willingness to talk with us directly. I'll pass your contact information on to our Shops Director, Lorelei. She is in a better position to discuss function and support issues. 

Thank you again.

Kathy

Kathy Allegro
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 6.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-04-2015 11:21 AM

We also use TAM for our retail store and I would echo Linda Endersby's sentiment.

Steve Scidmore
    I.S. Manager
    Minneapolis Institute of Arts
    Minneapolis MN

• 7.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 05-28-2015 08:45 AM

We have used TAM for retail in our gift shops for years, and are looking to move to a different product, as our overall experience with this software has been less than stellar. We currently use TM Vista for ticketing, and are also looking to replace this system as it is reaching EOL this summer. 

We decided we wanted a single product to handle retail POS, ticketing and membership, and are currently investigating several products: Siriusware, Explorer/Versai and Centaman. We have not made a final decision yet.

Bill
    William Paine
    IT Director
    Florida Museum of Natural History University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 8.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 05-29-2015 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info, William. I am passing your message on to our Shops Director to see if she has come across others having issues with TAM. We looked at Siriusware and Centamin but neither meet our needs. I will take a look at Explorer.

Kathy

Kathy Allegro
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 9.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-01-2015 12:14 PM

We use Altru, which is a Blackbaud product. It handles ticketing, museum shop and back office transactions. We haven't used the shop portion to a great extent yet, as our main museum is under construction. But we will when we reopen. Currenlty we use it for everything else and we like it. The best part is that it gives us a 360 degree view of our patrons.

Kristina Gerard

Speed Art Museum

Kristina Gerard MBA
    Database Manager/System Analyst

Louisville KY

• 10.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-02-2015 11:42 AM

Thank you, Kristina,

We do use Raiser's Edge and Financial Edge from Blackbaud, but I have heard mixed reviews on Altru. When I looked at it some time ago, it didn't look like it could handle the number of records we currently have in RE. I'm glad it's working out for you. 

Kathy

Kathy Allegro
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 11.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-03-2015 11:53 AM

Good morning. We currently use Retail Pro for our cafe and gift shop. We are in the process of updating to the most current version and getting an API for Raiser's Edge so that we can also use it at admissions. I'll be interested to see how the integration with RE goes, since it's the first they've done. 

Cheers,

Aimee White
    Membership Coordinator
    High Desert Museum
    Bend OR

• 12.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-03-2015 03:37 PM

Does anyone have experience with KMIT - FocusPoint 360 software? Their website claims they handle retail, membership, ticketing and facility rentals/events.

http://kmitsolutions.com/index.php/product/fp360-pos

We are still trying to come to a final decision, and may reopen our search for a suitable software package (and prefer a single solution for retail, membership, ticketing, and events/facility rentals, if such a product exists).

Thanks,

Bill
    William Paine
    IT Director
    Florida Museum of Natural History University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 13.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-04-2015 12:27 PM

I'm interested to know how your experience with an API Raiser's Edge works out. What do you use for general admissions and group sales?

Thanks

Kathy

Kathy Allegro
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 14.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-05-2015 09:31 AM

Hi Kathy,

We were able to bring all of our records over from RE to Altru and Altru has been able to hold all of our records without issue. Also, since you use Financial Edge, you can post payments from Altru to FE, so you don't have to manually tell your business office what needs to be posted to FE. They can run a post process from Altru that then links to FE (with a few steps). It makes reconciling with your business office that much easier.

Kristina Gerard MBA
    Database Manager/System Analyst
    Louisville KY

• 15.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-12-2015 03:58 PM

Hi all -

I was hoping to revive this discussion:  I work at a smaller museum, which receives about 6,000 visitors annually, so I am not too keen to spend $10,000 to set up a POS system.  However, we do handle event sales, room reservations, admissions, and gift shop sales, so we can't just use one module.  Are there any other small museums who have made the transition from pen and paper recording to a POS within a tight budget?  

Thanks,

Beth

Beth Sanders
    Registrar
    Klamath County Museum
    Klamath Falls OR

• 16.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-16-2015 02:49 PM

Hi Beth,

There are simpler solutions out there that are all in one. Techsoup.org and idealware.org are incredible resources. Make a list of what it must do for you (maybe even prioritize) and go through your checklist with products.

Techsoups products are discounted for non-profits, an account just needs to be set up with them and many products you ordinarily buy (Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc) you can get reduced. I just found one product called NonProfitEasyStart. It's cloud based and says it does:

NonProfitEasy is cloud-based, all-in-one data management software for managing grants, donors, members, volunteers, events, tasks, communications, and programs.

I guess that doesn't include retail, but retail systems are very different and you may not be able to find one system that does everything without making some sacrifices. Even those products that do them all (and cost $$$), like Altru, have weaknesses in certain areas.

Another solution that I have used is using POS retail to do shop/admissions/everything financial, outlook for scheduling, and supplementing with other databases to store/manage your other data for memberships, donations, etc.

Although, this day and age, you really want to be web focused and you will probably be happier with a cloud solution to allow your constituents to do much of the entry for you online if possible. That way you aren't entering data twice. Ideally, you get to see and review the data before it comes in, but that's a whole other discussion.

Best of luck!

Allison

Allison Wieland
    Database & Grants Manager
    Anchorage Museum
    Anchorage AK

• 17.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 06-17-2015 01:10 PM

Yes, you might want to look at cloud-based solutions. With gift shop sales, it's hard to get around purchasing/leasing at least one POS terminal and Inventory scanner and they aren't cheap. You might want to price out cloud systems versus the cost of local hardware.

Kathy

Kathy Allegro
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 18.  RE: Retail POS and General Admissions Software

Posted 10-22-2015 02:26 PM

Help! We are considering purchasing Altru, a Blackbaud company, for our POS store sales, memberships, donations, ticketed events, etc. but I am concerned that it doesn't fully and automatically integrate with any financial accounting software, including Financial Edge, another Blackbaud company.  They advise me that Altru will generate reports from which the accountants can create journal entries that will capture the summarized revenue information, thereby eliminating the capabilities of drilling down from the financial accounting side. I am also concerned how Altru captures cost of goods data from its POS as the company reps keep emphasizing that it is NOT accounting software.  I would like to be able to talk to the accountants, financial people who can describe their experiences in the back office in working with Altru and how it affects their financials.

Thanks!

Katy Kearney

Kathleen Kearney
    Business Manager
    University of Arizona Museum of Art
    Tucson AZ