Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Shop Consultant

Posted 05-21-2015 09:19 AM

Hi, We are considering a Museum Shop re-do, from top to bottom. Has anyone worked with a Museum Shop/Retail Consultant or Firm in the past? Before we get too far along in our thinking, we want to get some expert advice. I would welcome any recommendations you might have.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Dunbar
    Executive Director
    Everson Museum of Art
    Syracuse NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Shop Consultant

Posted 05-22-2015 11:00 AM

The Museum Store Association has a list of consultants.  Their email is info@museumstoreassociation.org.

Stacey Stachow
    Manager of the Museum Shop
    Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art
    Hartford CT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Shop Consultant

Posted 05-23-2015 10:55 AM

We used a Museum Store consultant with an architect who specialized in interior design cabinetry when planning for out new store space in 2012.  The store is part of a new museum facility opened that year and just under 500 sf.

The two as a team helped us first to plan the look and feel of the store in relation to how it would support our mission.  The color scheme and design of the cabinetry, shelves and cash wrap were an area we could not have accomplished alone.  I was surprised at how impactful this element of the process has been on our stores success.  We have exceeded income projections each year we've been open.

The Store consultant then helped us define product categories and range of retail pricing.  We worked with her choosing an expanded list of vendors too. We had a tiny shop  in a converted storage space in the old facility.  She also worked a schematic for product display.  We use the rationale it represents still though the shop rearranges frequently enough as seasons and product changes.

We engaged Marjorie Sheldon who lives here in the Pacific Northwest but she has clients far and wide.  Her website is   www.marjoriesheldonretailconsulting.com

The cost was less than I expected a consultant would be and the return on that investment significant.  What we earned in our do it yourself previous space was negligible.  Now we realize a target average income from visitors of nearly $8 per growing our way to a predicted $9 by the end of this year.  (The fabrication and the installation was wrapped into the facility build cost.)

I would advise engaging a consultant with Museum Store experience.  The relationship to mission is a unique factor and a person familiar with the needs and constraints of mission mandates while still making profit is a philosophical skill commercial store designers do not necessarily have in their toolbox.  That and also it takes quite a bit of intentional action to keep the store as designed and not relax back into the "storage space fit" of the previous retail thinking for staff (and audience).

All the best, Janet

Janet Smoak
    Director
    Suquamish Museum
    Suquamish WA

• 4.  RE: Museum Shop Consultant

Posted 05-23-2015 09:03 AM

I highly recommend Andrew Andoniadis. 

Karen Witter
    Independent Museum Consultant
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

• 5.  RE: Museum Shop Consultant

Posted 05-23-2015 10:59 AM

Elizabeth,

I would be most happy to forward you art museum and other museum clients that have worked with our great team of retail consultants. We work with museums of all sizes throughout the country. Send me an email at artm@manask.com and I will be happy to forward you additional information. You can also see our clients at www.manask.com.

Art

Arthur Manask
    President
    Manask & Associates
    Burbank CA

• 6.  RE: Museum Shop Consultant

Posted 05-26-2015 10:33 AM

The Columbus Museum of Art has also used Andrew Andoniadis  over the years.  http://www.museumstoreconsult.com/

Our Museum Shop Manager said he's been instrumental in designing our new shop which is part of our expansion that opens this fall. 

Lauren Emond
    Member Relations Manager
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH