Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Website examples for news room, press images, etc.

Posted 04-14-2015 03:14 PM

I would like your help.  We are finally redesigning our antiquated website, and I am looking for good examples for:

Press room

Sharing hi-res images with the media 

Press list signup

Calendar (public)

We plan to keep the new website basic, as an intermediate, transition stage.  I would love URLs you can recommend from your museum's website from others you admire.  

I would appreciate any good examples you can send.  I can gather and share the responses if desired.

Thanks! 

Anna Koster

650-725-4657    Email: akoster@stanford.edu

museum.stanford.edu

------------------------------
    Anna Koster
    Head of Communications
    Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University
    Stanford CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Website examples for news room, press images, etc.

Posted 04-15-2015 09:24 AM

HI, Anna - We're in a little bit of transition with our site, too, so not everything's completely up to date, but the basic structure of our press area includes most of what you're looking for. We're on the Ektron content management system. 

http://carnegiemnh.org/press/press.aspx?id=6532

Cathy Klingler
    Interpretive Planner & Science Writer
    Carnegie Museum of Natural History
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Website examples for news room, press images, etc.

Posted 04-15-2015 12:50 PM

Hi Anna,

We use Umbraco for our CMS, and here is our Press page: http://www.empmuseum.org/about-emp/press.aspx. We put our most recent Press Releases there, a request form for filming and photographing in the museum, and a sign-up form to be added to the press list and access exhibit downloads. Here is an example of one of our exhibit downloads pages (hidden to the public, accessible with press credentials - including here just as an example for you): http://empmuseum.org/about-emp/press/press-downloads/indie-game-revolution.aspx 

Hope this helps!
    Clare Canzoneri
    Marketing + Communications Associate
    EMP Museum
    Seattle WA

• 4.  RE: Website examples for news room, press images, etc.

Posted 04-15-2015 02:23 PM

Anna,

Our state park has a friends group maintains our website (www.fallsoftheohio.org) that enables us to do a lot of customized pages. A website that is rarely updated will not get a high ranking in search engines.

Since "Press" is an antiquated term for "newspaper," we decided to go with "News Desk" where we post media releases. We make high-res photos available upon request.

For our program calendar, we use www.localendar.com. It is easy to update and has flexibility depending on how much you want to pay.

With regards to links to other web pages, since I wear a lot of hats (including webmaster), I have been selective with links. We focus on those that connect thematically and geographically (i.e. local tourism). It is necessary to check them at least once a year to minimize the dead links that are so common on links pages. We don't demand reciprocal links.

Our web page  was developed in 1998 after researching many other museum and park websites, was improved dramatically in 2009 when I obtained a website maintenance program. It is too easy to forget to make changes, deleting a past event or program unless you have a dedicated webmaster. Simplicity has its advantages, but it must contain essential elements to make people want to return to it often. If they don't, it is not effective.Visiting websites of museums similar in size and scope to yours is the best way to see what works and what doesn't. We link our webpage to our Facebook page.

I get inquiries from around the world, so I know our site is frequently visited without even consulting the metrics. It is imperative that you respond to inquiries and don't make your web contact information impossible to find.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN