Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-13-2015 12:35 PM

Museum Studies Intern Student here wanting some advice.

Where I am working, we only have the archives and 4 large display cases located inside of a Science Museum. Because the archives only includes paper documents and a lot of text. We want to include and engage younger children in this display to have them learn more about the history of St. Louis, MO through the display.

We will be including QR codes throughout to link them to an online exhibit. But, we also want to include a Child Scavenger Hunt within the Display.
    Just a paper document that can engage them and only take 5 mins to find and complete?

Does anybody have any advice or experience with this? I will take all ideas!

------------------------------
    Natalie Eichelberger
    Archives Intern
    Academy of Science- St. Louis, MO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-14-2015 09:09 AM

At the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center we offer a "Family Guide" which is a tri-fold activity sheet with games and puzzles that encourage children to explore various aspects of the galleries and exhibits. We give the children a small gift if they at least attempt to do the activities. The gift is a small packet of temporary tattoos in a mini zip-lock bag with a card that says "You're a Winner!" Kids love it and parents seem to really appreciate it. Sometimes we add a scavenger hunt loose page inside this hand-out, if an exhibit supports it. It gives the kids something to do and encourages family interactivity!

Kristi Lucas-Hayden
    Volunteer Director
    Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center
    Santa Rosa CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-14-2015 12:48 PM

Kristi,

Thank you for your response! I love the idea of a tri-fold activity sheet. The goal is that we want younger kids to learn about our history and what we offer as we founded the Science Center in St. Louis. I will have to experiment with the activity sheet instead of just having one activity.

We are located just outside of the Discovery Room ( ages 3-8) and tickets are required to get in and it is open only at certain times. Therefore, we have an ubundance of kids waiting outside of our office in order to get to the Discovery Room. It'll be nice to engage them (and their parents!) while they wait.

Natalie Eichelberger
    Archives Intern
    Academy of Science - St. Louis, MO

• 4.  RE: Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-15-2015 10:15 AM

Natalie,

I think that it's great that you want to engage the kids waiting to get into the Discovery Room.  You might think about selecting 3 or 4 artifacts in the collection that relate in some way to what the kids will see in the Discovery Room and encourage them to find out something that they can connect to their experience once they enter the Discovery space.  A simple Family Guide that can be reproduced easily can identify the objects and provide prompts or questions that encourage finding out about an object by looking carefully.  Prompts are helpful to kids and also to parents with younger children. 

Good luck!

Sharon
    Sharon Shaffer PhD
    Principal, Education Consultant
    Ruckersville VA

• 5.  RE: Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-14-2015 09:34 AM

Here at the Wagner we use a scavenger hunt as the primary way to engage children with our collection (which is a historic natural history collection of rock, mineral, fossil, and animal specimens). We have both a picture-based scavenger hunt for little ones who aren't yet at reading age and we have word-based ones for the older kids who can. Basically the pictures just show different animals with a clue to what case they're in, and kids go around and try to find them. The word-based ones come in many different "subjects", such as animal adaptations, food chains, and evolution. They ask specific questions about a specimen with the answer being that specimen, which the kids then have to find.

This is probably a bit different than what you're planning, but, if it helps - these scavenger hunts are very popular with families that visit and the kids are always really excited to do them. We don't offer any reward for completing them, though that is a neat idea we may want to try! Still, even without the reward it is a popular thing for kids to do. We present it to any families who visit as an option when they come through the door. I think it's just a good way to give kids a focus for their visit, because our collection is historic and we don't have any kind of technology for them to interact with or activities for them to do. 

If you want some examples I can ask our Children's Ed department if they wouldn't mind sharing. 

Cara Scharf
    Program and Communications Manager
    Wagner Free Institute of Science
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-14-2015 12:39 PM

Cara,

Thanks for your response! If you don't mind sending me some examples, I would love that. Especially ones for those who are too young to read. The picture scavenger hunt sounds perfect as we are located by the Science Centers discovery room which is geared towards ages 3-8. They wait outside the doors to go in so we have a lot of traffic outside of our offices. So, it will be nice to include them in a mini activity that promotes the Academy of Science - St. Louis

Natalie Eichelberger
    Archives Intern
    Academy of Science- St. Louis

• 7.  RE: Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-16-2015 11:55 AM

Hi Natalie,

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts has several Gallery Hunts available online. Our target audience is typically parents with children or children ages 7 to 11. We try to design our gallery hunts to be interpretive and inquisitive, asking the children open ended questions that promote critical thinking and analysis. Our gallery hunts are organized by theme and typically feature cross-cultural object selections. We have a somewhat standard formula (that can be deviated from) which is factual information about five to six objects, a thematic connection, followed by an open ended question for each object. Most of these are designed to be printed on standard 8 1/2 x 11" paper. We do also periodically produce tri-fold gallery hunts and multi-page family guides. 

You can access VMFA gallery hunts, family guides, as well as other VMFA online resources by visiting: http://vmfa.museum/learn/gallery-hunts/ 

Just a note on the QR codes, this brings up a lot of questions concerning the Bring Your Own Device approach. Your audience definitely needs to be considered when incorporating technology. For example, will school groups be engaging with the display and if so, will they be able to access the QR codes, and if not, will they miss out on information as a result of that?

I love the idea of image only hunts for very small children. My three year old was very engaged by a similar hunt at a small local historic house. At VMFA we incentivize gallery hunt participation during our large scale Family Events but I love the idea of incentivizing them on an ongoing basis. This is another personal anecdote but thought I'd share. The grocery store Trader Joe's typically hides a stuffed animal around their store. When a child finds the toy they can go to the customer service desk and get a treat. As a consumer, one of the reasons I chose to shop at Trader Joe's is because I can convince my child to go shopping to earn a treat and  my child can be engaged looking for the toy while I shop. Smart business can come in handy even in non-profits.

Good luck! 
    Jessica Bauserman
    Youth and Family Programs Educator
    Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
    Richmond VA

• 8.  RE: Child Scavenger Hunt within Museum Display- Any ideas?

Posted 04-14-2015 09:43 AM

What age level(s) do you want to reach? Who is guiding / supervising the children in question? If you want children to stop long enough to pay attention, you need to provide an engaging activity that they will find worthwhile.

Since you are looking at a one page activity and a small exhibit area, that will makes it simpler in some respect, but in the surroundings of a science center, there will be distractions. Use the title of the exhibit component so they can find the answer quickly. If you focus on the 2nd or 3rd grade level, use a mix of multiple choice and fill in the blank. With 4th or 5th grade education level, writing prompts with one or two sentence answers may be more appropriate. Is there an artifact that they can draw? A fancy signature they can try to duplicate?

Prioritize the most important story you want the children to learn and start there. Five minutes is not a lot of time - one or two short-answer questions for older kids. If they have to seek the answer, make sure it is obvious or they will spend the time looking and not have time to answer... not necessarily a bad thing. Experiment - test out different activities and see which works the best.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN