Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

• 1.  Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-05-2015 07:23 PM

The Muscarelle Museum of Art at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA just completed an exhibit of Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. It will next be going  to the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and then home to Italy.

As a docent at the Muscarelle I was able to create a tactile tour of the exhibit.  Using an easy copying technique, I copied ten of the thirty drawings of the exhibit from slides that were sent to the docents via email. I then sent the copies to Tactile Vision Graphics in Ottawa who does thermal tactile printing. Using research I usually do for my tours, I was able to successfully give tours to adults and high school students who are blind or have low vision.

Each student had never been in an art museum before. Some of the older visitors had traveled, some had not. The new visitors were all thrilled, learned about the two artists, the drawings that were on exhibit and the techniques that were used.

The visitors that were in the galleries, stopped, listened and understood what we were doing and learned something new as well.

This not only addresses the ADA Title III, for effective communications in museum programs, it also creates a new audience.  I will be glad to send you all some photos. Inexpensive to do, you too can offer tours for the blind/or low vision.

------------------------------
    Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-06-2015 08:26 AM

That is a wonderful initiative. I wanted to share that when I was Secretary of Cultural Affairs in New Mexico, we created an exhibit entitled "touching beauty".  This exhibition, which serves as a touchable art museum is permanently installed in the Bataan Memorial Building in Santa Fe, the former State Capitol.

The exhibit consists of a group of bronze sculptures by the artist Michael Naranjo, a Native American sculptor who lost his site in battle in VIetnam.  It is a most compelling exhibit which includes photographs of the artist at various stages of his career.

You can Google Michael Naranjo and see some of his powerful works.

Stuart Ashman
    President & CEO
    Museum of Latin American Art
    Long Beach CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-09-2015 06:58 AM
    I wanted Michael Naranjo to come to the Muscarelle to speak, show some of his work, but we couldn't get the financial support. I was able to see his work in Arizona, and in Santa Fe. There is so many talented artists around, working with disabilities, including photographers. 
    Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

• 4.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-06-2015 11:42 AM

Shirley and others interested in this topic: Check out the upcoming ICOM-Committee for Education and Cultural Action (CECA) conference in Washington, DC. "Museum Education and Accessibility: Bridging the Gaps" (September 17-21). The last time that a CECA conference  was organized in the USA was in 1982, so this is a unique opportunity to meet all the CECA community and share approaches to accessibility in museums.

Ellen Giusti
    Independent Consultant
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-07-2015 10:47 AM

You might be interested in an article in the New York Times on 6 March 2015 entitled

"At Museo del Prado, Blind Visitors Can Touch Masterpieces".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/arts/design/at-museo-del-prado-blind-visitors-can-touch-masterpieces.html?_r=0

A Google search for "prado museum exhibit for blind" will yield other articles on this subject.

Alan Burgdorf
    Volunteer

• 6.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-07-2015 09:58 AM

Hello Shirley,

I would love to feature your program in AAMD's Museums and Communities News, a monthly email featuring community programs from AAMD museums (of which the Muscarelle is one). Link to past emails: http://conta.cc/1uXBWK4 

If you're interested could you contact me at awade@aamd.org? Many thanks!

Alison Wade
    Chief Administrator
    Association of Art Museum Directors
    New York NY
    aamd.org

• 7.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-07-2015 12:33 PM

For those interested, I have been producing an exhibit for science and natural history museums which features numerous objects intended for tactile (as well as visual) examination by visitors.  The techniques I'm using could easily be applied outside of the biological/natural history realm to have applications in cultural history or art museum settings.

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 8.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-08-2015 06:19 AM
    What are you doing?  Would love to know more. Thanks, Shirley

Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

• 9.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-07-2015 04:20 PM

This is so great to hear. We always offer tours of our collection and special exhibitions to people who are blind or have low vision. Visitors access the work in various ways, with a tour guide, sometimes exploring sculpture through touch, sometimes with description and various tactile materials, depending on the art and the visitor.  Since we are getting the DaVinci/Michelangelo exhibit next, I wonder if you would share your tactile materials? Years ago, we had an exhibit here at the MFA, "African Gold", and we shared our tactile materials with the Smithsonian's African Art Museum when they had the show, saving duplication of effort. I have always wanted to do this again, but haven't had the opportunity. Of course, the African Art Museum returned the materials when they were done. Let me know if you are interested.

Wouldn't it be amazing if something like this became part of traveling exhibitions?

Hannah Goodwin
    Manager of Accessibility
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 10.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-08-2015 08:37 AM

Shirley, you can find out more information about Touching El Prado as well as other exhibits for people who are blind and visually impaired that we have done in Spain at our website http://didu.estudiosdurero.com/index_lang_en.html.

We will be at the Museum expo in Atlanta with a 3 dimensional replica of El Greco's "The Nobleman With His Hand on His Chest" so that you can experience it for yourself.  I am located in NC and look forward to working with Museums as we bring Didu, the technique used to do the 3 dimensional paintings as seen in El Prado, to the United States.

Cindy Sacristan
    Customer Liaison Officer US & Canada
    Estudios Duero SL
    Cary NC

• 11.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-08-2015 10:50 AM

"Wouldn't it be amazing if something like this became part of traveling exhibitions?"

We think so too, Hannah.  Our exhibit currently in production is a traveling exhibition, and thanks to some spiffy technology, visitors (of any visual ability) can touch all of the specimens that we feature.  For this reason, I'm of the opinion that our exhibit may offer a level of accessibility not found in most natural history exhibits. 

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Bozeman MT

• 12.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-09-2015 07:08 AM
    Hannah, I've sent you email of images made and PP images of original drawings.  Wish we could have them all to share for a Tactile Library - both for our museums and outreach programs. 

Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

• 13.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-10-2015 12:56 PM

Thank you so much. Someday someone will invent a tactile library with materials that are free and open to all. Kind of like talking books....

Great to hear all the positive response on this. I want to put in a plug for Museums not waiting for the opportunity to do something on the scale of El Prado. It is actually not very difficult to provide tours for all kinds of artwork to visitors who are blind or have low vision, and it need not be costly. I also want to put in a plug for access for people who are blind to everything in a museum.

Thanks for your great work, Shirley, and for opening the conversation.

Hannah Goodwin
    Manager of Accessibility
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 14.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 04-11-2015 08:56 AM

What would it take to start a traveling tactile library?  Some dedicated funds, dedicated staff/ volunteers, the images accompanied by some dialogue of the the tours in braille and plain text--Braille matter can be sent free in US, not sure about other countries. Someone who is good in writing for grants - 

Let me know how you feel about the images I sent out. 

Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

• 15.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-14-2015 02:12 PM
      |   view attached

Since there were some really great examples included in this thread, I've created a Word document to list them. If anyone joins the conversation and includes additional examples, I'll update this document.

Enjoy!

Cecelia Walls
    Information Center Manager
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC

Attachment(s)

• 16.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-15-2015 09:41 AM

The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) in Toronto has some great accessible programmes.  Their "Multi-sensory Tours" (http://www.ago.net/tactile-tours-a-new-way-of-seeing) are for low vision/blind visitors.  If you follow the link to the tactile tours you will see a photograph of a man touching a Rodin bronze.  I heard him speak at a conference once - he has been blind since birth & this was the first time he felt that he experienced art.  The AGO's "Art in the Moment Tours" are for people with Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia and their care-givers and, finally, their "ASL Interpreted Tours" are for visitors who are deaf or have hearing loss and are given in American Sign Language.

Susan Maltby
    Conservator
    Toronto ON

• 17.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-16-2015 01:09 PM
    HI,  Have you thought about adding real-life captioning on your tours? Many people who are deaf or have low hearing can't read sign language. We are now adding live captioning to our local theatres, next step – museums.  

Shirley Confino-Rehder cid
    Chair, Commission for Persons with Disabilities
    Chair, Hampton Roads Disabilities Board

757 513-4880 Mobile
    757 502-8255 Fax
    hrdb@univdesign.com

• 18.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-16-2015 03:07 PM

Also check out the section on Visual Impairment in AAM's report: "Museums On Call: How Museums Are Addressing Health Issues." You'll find some additional examples as well as museum-related organizations/resources working in this area.

Get the report here: http://www.aam-us.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/museums-on-call.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Julie Hart
    Senior Director, Museum Standards & Excellence
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC

• 19.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-15-2015 03:10 PM

Hello Cecelia,

How might we get access to the Word document?  I did not see an attachment with your message on the forum.

Thanks,

Meredith Peruzzi

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC

• 20.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-18-2015 12:15 AM

Hello, all -

This video shows a fine example of just how powerful technology can be when it comes to providing greater accessibility to the visually impaired.  Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with nor endorsing "Huggies" or any other product shown in this video, and have no affiliation with any of the parties involved (other than using the same kind of printer). 

Watch a Blind Mom-to-Be Meet Her Unborn Baby on a 3D-Printed Ultrasound

TIME remove preview
    Watch a Blind Mom-to-Be Meet Her Unborn Baby on a 3D-Printed Ultrasound
    Most expectant mothers get their first glimpse of their baby during the ultrasound. However, if you're a mom-to-be who can't see, the ultrasound experience might be a less profound experience. "Meeting Murilo," a video posted by the Brazilian branch of Huggies, however, is showing the world how one blind woman was able to share in the awe of that first ultrasound moment, even if she couldn't see.
    View this on TIME >

While we're not using ultrasound to create the features in our traveling exhibition, we're definitely utilizing a lot of technology from the biomedical realm.  Visitors may not have quite as poignant or dramatic of an experience as this woman, but they're sure to get an equal level of detailed tactile understanding from our exhibit features.

As I continue with production of the exhibit, I've been getting some inquiries about creating tactile models of specific objects for visually impaired visitors to various museums.  I think it could be a relatively easy way for museums of all kinds to improve accessibility.  Do you think that there may be wider interest in this?  If so, does anyone have any thoughts on how much a museum might be willing to spend on such a feature?  I'm considering including this in my range of services if the cost structure is workable.  Thanks,

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Bozeman MT

• 21.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-18-2015 03:18 PM

I was interested to read the thread of information about accessibility. I am interested in expanding this to history museums. In several exhibitions I co-curated at the New-York Historical Society, I had tactiles fabricated of some of the three dimensional pieces and additional pieces that helped with interpretation. Is anyone working in history museums who has tried this? At the moment it seems like art museums are on the forefront of using the available technology. I hope history museums can join them. It's not that expensive and it brings more people in the door.

Lynda Kaplan
    Brooklyn NY

• 22.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-19-2015 08:50 AM

This is such a great conversation to have. It is so great to learn from each other. I think it is really important to remember that there is no one solution that will work for everyone, and also that touch is such a wildly different sense than vision that to really be an effective experience the people leading the tours or designing the materials need to understand the differences, and the good qualities of each. And that not everyone who is blind likes to touch. A multi-pronged approach can make a big difference, and also if each institution looks at what they have already, sometimes it is only a small step to making what you are doing really accessible. There are some really innovative approaches in some smaller museums and historic houses that are just brilliant.

Hannah Goodwin
    Manager of Accessibility
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 23.  RE: Tactile Tours for including persons who are blind or have low vision

Posted 05-20-2015 07:48 AM
    To continue on with Hannah's note,  I recently helped a volunteer, via email communication, to do a tour for the Post Office in Washington DC. There apparently was no budget set aside for it, so I helped her write a script, describing the areas that she was including in the tour. Part of it was describing the architectural elements and large hallway the visitor would be walking through. I suggested using the body measurements and touch to describe the length and width of the hall and experience the original ornate postal boxes and architectural details, noting the tactile sense of wood vs marble on the walls. The script could be in large print and Braille, for persons who are blind/have low vision and deaf, audio for people who are blind or have low vision, and are not able to read Braille. I suggested adding interesting "gossip" to the tour script and imagined imagery for the crowded space when the lobby was being used to pick up mail. Minimal cost. Hope this adds to your question.

Recently did a hands on outreach program for about 45 clients of the ARC. They wanted to learn about Leonardo da Vinci. We had all of the participants make parachutes, similar to one seen in the Codex of flight in the Leonardo da Vinci exhibition, and Mona Lisa. Cost – a couple of yards of inexpensive light weight cotton cut in squares, string strung in each corner of the square, and beads and small plastic animals for weights you can get from any art store of dollar store. Used markers to make designs on the cloth, and then colored copies of Mona Lisa. They learned about da Vinci, his love of flying, anatomy of the animals, and the Mona Lisa.

Shirley Confino, docent
    Muscarelle Museum, College of William & Mary
    Williamsburg, VA