Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  People Counters

Posted 03-25-2015 09:58 AM
    Hey Guys, I have a question about people counters. Our galleries are upstairs, but our counter is at the main door, so we capture everyone coming in the building whether it is to attend a function in our downstairs classroom space or performance hall or to purchase tickets. I'm just curious about what other museums do. Thanks so much for any input.

------------------------------
    Kathy Rogers
    Executive Director
    Piedmont Arts Association
    Martinsville VA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: People Counters

Posted 03-25-2015 11:04 AM
    We hard count everyone at our front desk with a "clicker" and make a tally on a daily sheet to indicate any special events or rentals.  25 years ago, it was about a 60/40 split, people coming for rentals vs those primarily viewing the museum; now it's more like 75/25.  Doesn't bother me . . . they're all using the resource, one way or another.

James Mackay
    Director
    The Lyceum
    Alexandria VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: People Counters

Posted 03-26-2015 08:31 AM

Hi Kathy,

I'm curious...is your people counter a human being or an mechanical/digital device?
    We find the clicker system to be wildly inaccurate and would like another means to count our visitors.

Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: People Counters

Posted 03-26-2015 09:03 AM

We use what I call a "clicker," but I didn't mean an electric-eye-operated counter . . . we have a live person counting people as they come in with a hand counter.  An electric eye can't tell you who's there for what purpose, and counts anything that breaks the beam . . . people coming AND going, something someone is carrying, a kid's hand passing back and forth 15 times before his mom says "stop that" . . .J

Jim Mackay, Director

City of Alexandria, VA

The Lyceum --- Alexandria's History Museum

(703) 746-4994

www.alexandriava.gov/Lyceum

• 5.  RE: People Counters

Posted 03-26-2015 09:34 AM
    I recommend adding entrance counters at gallery doors, especially in a multi-use facility.  they allow you to determine how much of the visitorship is driven by the galleries, information that can be very useful for budgeting and staffing.

Barbara Cohen-Stratyner PhD
    Curator of Exhibitions
    New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: People Counters

Posted 03-26-2015 10:17 AM
    We have staff and volunteers use a hand counter, clicker, like what was mentioned before. We use this both to track the number of visitors through an exhibit, or sometimes how many people stop by a facilitated cart, we also count/estimate how many visitors attend the shows that we offer. In the past we've used a digital counter, but that was more for crowd control in a new exhibit. The entrance and exit were in 2 locations of the gallery, so we could track how many people were going in and then coming out so we could send more people in. ------------------------------ Amber Parham Museum Educator/Performer Denver Museum of Nature & Science Denver CO ------------------------------

• 7.  RE: People Counters

Posted 03-26-2015 10:30 AM
    We have guards posted at 3 of our main entrances that use clickers to count visitors as they walk in. We compare this  "post" count against our ticketed sales from Admissions to determine how many people came and only visited our Café and Gift Shop.

Caitlin Linkous
    Accountant Assistant
    Frist Center for the Visual Arts
    Nashville TN