Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Art Museum Building Design -- Helpful Sources

Posted 03-18-2015 08:58 PM

Hi All,

I'm writing to ask whether you can share with me resources that you have found to be particularly useful in thinking through planning issues related to small art museum building projects (50,000 square feet and under), especially those that are constructed in residential neighborhoods.   Books, magazine articles, online lectures, etc. -- I'd welcome any suggestions you have, especially from those of you who have been through one of these recently, plus your own thoughts (Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid or Things to Do welcome!) if you care to share.

Thanks in advance.

All best,

Marisa Angell Brown 

------------------------------
    Marisa Angell Brown
    President, Genie Loci

www.genieloci.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Art Museum Building Design -- Helpful Sources

Posted 03-19-2015 08:18 AM
    Edited by Guy Hermann 03-19-2015 09:49 AM

Marisa--

Finding good resources for any kind of museum planning is a challenge. The issues are often so specific to a particular museum that a broad stroke approach just doesn't work.

One place to start might be at the Building Museums conference, an annual event that just happens to be in Boston and starting this Sunday.  Here is a link to the program:

http://www.midatlanticmuseums.org/docs/Building%20Museums%202015/18AM15_BMregistration2.pdf

In my experience, the most successful museum projects are the ones that most thoughtfully integrate collections, exhibitions, programs, and architectural design. This is not as easy as it sounds, especially for a new museum.

Update: If I had just one piece of advice, it would be to wait to hire an architect until you have a very clear sense of who the museum serves and how building can best meet their needs. This likely means engaging multiple stakeholders in an ongoing discussion and getting to know other museums that are working to accomplish similar goals. This way, you come to the conversation with the architect with a very clear sense of what the museum building should accomplish and can guide the design work most effectively.

Good luck!

Guy

Guy Hermann
    Museum Insights
    Master Planning for Museums
    http://www.museuminsights.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Art Museum Building Design -- Helpful Sources

Posted 03-19-2015 10:36 AM

A truly excellent source of information is Building Museums: A Handbook for Small and Midsize Organizations by Herskovitz, Glines and Grabitske.    Not only does it have step by step "instructions", but the chapter on what makes a museum building special is a must-read for anyone involved in museum construction (including architects).   The book is published by the Minnesota Historical Society Press and available on Amazon.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ