Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Smart Boards for museum work

Posted 03-12-2015 02:50 PM

Are any museums using Smart Boards for collaborative, in-house work and/or for teaching? What are the benefits and challenges of using this equipment?

Any ideas or anecdotes would be appreciated! 

-------------------------------------------
    Megan DiRienzo
    Interpretive Planner
    Detroit Institute of Arts
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Smart Boards for museum work

Posted 03-12-2015 03:59 PM
    I'd love to hear about others' experiences, as well.  I've been in both museum education and elementary education and I absolutely loved using the smart board in my traditional classroom.  Since being back to work here at the Cummer Museum, I have thought how great it would be to have them in our studios.

Dulcimer Hause
    Museum Educator
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Smart Boards for museum work

Posted 03-13-2015 10:20 AM

Thanks for your reply, Dulcimer. Any specifics about how you used it in the classroom? What activities would you use it for?
    Megan DiRienzo
    Interpretive Planner
    Hazel Park MI

• 4.  RE: Smart Boards for museum work

Posted 03-16-2015 10:29 AM
    We recently renovated our education classrooms into a new 5 space learning center, complete with 3 flexible learning spaces, a dedicated lab, and an early childhood space. Each room has a 70-inch Mondopad from In Focus. It's like a giant iPad. We are still learning all the capabilities, but it has a camera for a teleconference feature, a white board feature where we can import images and draw on them, and it is a full computer that is hooked to our network, so we don't need to bring laptops or even USB's to use files for programs any more. We also have 30 iPad minis and we can project images from the iPad using a cord or even without the cord through an application on the mondopad. We are also able to hook up a high powered microscope for our lab programs. So far we really love them! I would be happy to discuss it with anyone who is interested in learning more!
    Sincerely,
    Lauren

Lauren Tyler
    Director of Youth Education
    The Florida Aquarium
    Tampa FL

• 5.  RE: Smart Boards for museum work

Posted 03-17-2015 01:13 PM

Lauren- Those spaces sound AMAZING!  I am envious!

Megan-  When I was in the traditional classroom I was teaching 1st grade (all subjects).  I really used the smart board for everything instead of a white board.  I would write on it; we would play games for math, science, and language arts; and right around when I left the classroom we were beginning to use Classroom Dojo for behavior.  I really like how they are so interactive.

------------------------------
    Dulcimer Hause
    Museum Educator
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL

• 6.  RE: Smart Boards for museum work

Posted 03-23-2015 01:47 PM
    Thanks for the feedback and ideas, Lauren and  Dulcimer. This is very helpful.

Megan DiRienzo
    Interpretive Planner
    Hazel Park MI

• 7.  RE: Smart Boards for museum work

Posted 03-24-2015 02:59 PM

Hey Megan,

We got a SMART board at the Illinois State Museum about a year ago or so. For the longest time, it got used as a glorified projector and screen (power point presentations,etc.) We didn't really have time to explore the interactive software that came with it.

In the last couple of months, we have developed a game for Super Saturday (4 hour come-and-go family event). It has been an interesting process of discovering what will work and what won't. The first game we developed was one that I built and we had a hard time getting all of it locked down so that the children couldn't change the game accidentally. After that, we decided to stick with some of the game templates that came with the software. These provide a start and reset button, and have fewer elements that have to be locked down. We found that the games are more successful when a volunteer is present to engage visitors, but it can work on its own as long as someone checks on it every once in a while to make sure it is still working as it should. The children seem pretty familiar with its operation and enjoy playing the games. 

One of our staff members is also using it for volunteer training and has added some interactive elements to her regular power point training.

Let me know if you have any other questions. All of your former colleagues here say, "Hello!"

Best of luck,
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth Bazan
    Assistant Curator of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL