Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Conservation for Antique Steam Pumper

Posted 03-02-2015 03:52 PM
    Hello!

I am searching for a qualified person(s) to conserve an antique horse-drawn steam pumper manufactured by the Button Fire Engine Company, c.1885. Our Board would like to compare multiple estimates prior to making a final decision. Most people that I have found who work on such vehicles do restoration work not conservation. Our goal is to keep the original finish, surface clean, stabilize and in-paint where needed. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks!
    Valerie Seiber

-------------------------------------------
    Valerie Seiber
    Collections Manager
    The Hershey Story: The Museum on Chocolate Avenue
    Hershey PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Conservation for Antique Steam Pumper

Posted 03-02-2015 04:00 PM
    Hi Valerie!

Near where I grew up in Virginia there is an antique steam engine club called the Shenandoah Valley Gas and Steam Engine Association. They are great folks and they put on one of the best steam shows every year in Berryville. I'm not sure if they can help, but Rick Custer is the president, his number is 304-229-2101 and his email is tractorman61@frontier.com. If he's not the guy to talk to, he might know some one who is!

Hope this helps!

Steven Prokopchak
    Associate Producer
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Conservation for Antique Steam Pumper

Posted 03-03-2015 08:41 AM
    Valerie-

You should definitely talk with Brian Howard at www.brhoward.com. I've worked with him in the past and one of his employees worked for us at cleaning a Clapp & Jones hose reel that originally had a lot silver decoration on it. I would definitely use him for fire apparatus projects. 

If you want to talk to me off list, do email me.

Melissa

Melissa Heaver
    Registrar
    Fire Museum of Maryland
    Lutherville MD

• 4.  RE: Conservation for Antique Steam Pumper

Posted 03-03-2015 11:44 AM
    Valerie, I suspect that the recommendation from Melissa Heaver will yield the results you need. However, for this or any other conservation project, you can find conservators by contacting the American Institute for Conservation (AIC), which provides just such referrals. Of course, hearing from the conservation clients can be quite important, as well, and I don't think you can wrong with Museum Junction.

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus
    Newport Restoration Foundation
    Newport RI