Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Photographers

Posted 02-09-2015 04:25 PM
    Who's following this thread? Well, I'm one and I am the photographer at the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, FL.

Previously, I was the Digital Imaging Manager at the Osher Map Library in Portland, Maine.

Although I have much less in the way of equipment at Ringling compared to Osher Map Library, there are many principles which remain the same.

As I see it, museum photographers have so many varied tasks that training would have to be very specific to their own situation.

For example, in my previous job digitizing historic atlases and maps, involved precise color rendition and proper sizing for reproduction as facsimiles among other considerations. Want to know how to make printouts from a camera print out the exact size as the original?

In my present job, digitizing posters requires accurate color rendition as well as precise perspective adjustments since most of the posters we digitize have borders.

My biggest challenge now is accurate color rendition without having a nice Eizo monitor (Dell monitors just don't do it).

I would like to make a suggestion that the photographers who are following this thread post the challenges that they are having to see if one of the other participants could share their solution.

-------------------------------------------
    Ronald Levere
    Digital Collections Manager
    Library, John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
    Sarasota FL
    -------------------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more