Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 02-03-2015 11:35 AM

Hello everyone!
    First time posting!

I was curious what other museum photographers were pursuing for professional development.
    Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Rob Deslongchamps
    Head of Photo Services
    Cincinnati Art Museum
    Cincinnati OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 02-03-2015 01:28 PM
    Hello Rob!

Here in Virginia we have a state organization called the Virginia Film Office. They have been working with local community colleges to create classes that help develop skills for media production. I'm not sure if Ohio has the same thing, but it might be worth a look! Also, Lynda.com  has great photography resources, as well as post production training.

Hope this helps!

-Steven

Steven Prokopchak
    Associate Producer
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 02-05-2015 11:40 AM
    Is there such a thing as museum specific photography, or would it be categorized in a broader field of archival/studio type photography?  I guess it depends on what your specific job is.

I met with a fellow a few days ago who was raving about this online mentor program for photography: http://www.thearcanum.com/   He was very excited about it.  Stated that he had learned more in 4 months than the previous 10 years.

I will be looking into it myself once my production schedule eases up a bit.

MATT 

Matthew Wooten
    Planetarium Producer
    Milwaukee Public Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 4.  RE: Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 02-09-2015 02:29 PM
    This is an interesting topic as I think about this often. I am a photographer at the Florida Museum of Natural History. There are two photographers here at the museum. The natural history is a part of the University of Florida, so we photographers are a member of a group called UPAA (University Photographers Association of America). This is a unique group of university photographers, though Jeff and I are in a very small niche within this group. We don't know if any other photographers within this group that shoot only for a museum.

I ponder almost every day how many other museum photogs exist out there. It would be totally awesome to create a group for us all to get together and creatively support each other.

Rob, I began following you on Instagram, I assume as the photog there you manage your Instagram page? I manage ours  - our handle is floridamuseum

Any other museum photographer out there following this thread? 

Kristen

Kristen Grace
    Photographer
    Florida Museum of Natural History University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 5.  RE: Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 07-23-2015 04:48 PM

Hello,

Yes this is a small group. However I believe there are more out there (maybe not full time) than at first guess. Not the most public crowd. As for studies, practice or knowledge, I think it is photography first followed by interest in objects or culture and followed by curiosity.

When I was hired within the last year (after years as a commercial shooter, (with a fine art schooling)) I was told that Museum photographers are made not found.

As for the group, It would be great to bounce ideas and questions in an environment that understands the high technical and physical constraints that this unique position provides.

------------------------------
    Kevin Candland
    Museum Photographer
    Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
    San Francisco CA

• 6.  RE: Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 07-24-2015 10:43 AM

Hi All,

FYI a terrific, friendly resource for museum photographers already exists!

There's a Yahoo group called Imagemuse, subscribed to by 200 or so museum, library & archive photographers from the US & around the world. I stumbled upon it after my first few years of isolation and it's been extremely helpful. Many of its members also belong to an organization that has a wider focused listserve,  MCN.com, the Museum Computer Network, holds yearly conferences on a wide range of technology topics including some digital imaging related sessions. It's a great opportunity to network with some incredible & knowledgeable photographers.

Here are the links:

Home - imagemuse.org

MCN-L Email List - MCN

I hope this helps,

Walter

Walter Silver
    Senior Photographer
    Peabody Essex Museum
    Salem MA

• 7.  RE: Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 09-28-2015 11:49 AM

Hello there!  

I am also a full time museum photographer following this thread.  I'm relatively new to this field (3 months!) and appreciate the resources you have listed, especially since I usually resort to instructional Youtube videos or spend hours pouring over operating manuals trying to troubleshoot technical problems. I also appreciate Kevin's sentiment that museum photographers are made, not found. 

Thank you!

Keara Reburn
    Registration Assistant, Photographer
    Mint Museum
    Charlotte NC

• 8.  RE: Professional development for museum photographers

Posted 09-29-2015 09:34 AM

Just a quick correction: the umbrella organization is the Museum Computer Network, and the URL is http://mcn.edu/

It's not too late to join the 2015 mcn.edu conference, coming this November: http://mcn.edu/mcn-2015-minneapolis/

There will be numerous sessions on museum photography practices, research, and leading edge technologies.

- Douglas

Douglas Hegley
    Director of Media & Technology
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN