Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  estate agent

Posted 01-29-2015 12:40 PM
    Dear Colleagues:

I am working with the estate of an artist who has had some exposure both
    in Europe and the US, both in regard to sales and exhibitions.

The owners have the idea of hiring someone to try to develop serious
    dealer representation, an idea that I find a bit unusual. I thought to
    contact you professionals who might have ever encountered that concept and
    would love to hear your thoughts or suggestions about how it could/should
    work.

Thanking you all in advance.

David S.

David M. Sokol, Professor Emeritus
    School of Art and Art History [M/C 201]
    University of Illinois at Chicago
    929 W. Harrison Street
    Chicago, Illinois 60607
    Phone: 708 8481731
    dmsokol@uic.edu
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: estate agent

Posted 01-30-2015 09:45 AM
    This subject is not as unusual as you might think and a subject to which I dedicate at least one class period in my professional practices class for graduating senior studio majors at the University of Arkansas, Fort Smith. The first thing that I instruct my seniors to do when making a Last Will and Testament is to write an addendum  appointing an "art executor" with final definitive authority in regard to an artist's portfolio, someone knowledgable in the field. This way, well meaning but  naive relatives who will otherwise inherit an artist's estate, will not be saddled with the disosition of the contents of an artist's studio. Also, much of what is written on this subject instructs artists to maintain an  inventory of work, something few of us are able to keep up.

Your clients may find the following articles from "The New York Times" helpful.

"The Opulence of Restraint: Robert De Niro, Sr." by Jennifer Samet, Hyperallergic,July 5, 2014. http://hyperallergic.com/135653/the-opulence-of-restraint-robert-de-niro-sr/.

"Abstract Painter's Afterlife, Reborn: Raymond Spillenger of the New York School Gets Noticed" by Charles McGrath, The New York Times, June 5, 2014, Also in print, June 8, 2014, p. AR1 under title "Abstract Painter's Afterlife, Reborn".  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/arts-design/raymond-spillenger-of-the-new-york-school-gets-notices.html?_r=0.

The Weighty Responsibility of Inheriting a Collection" by Paul Sullivan, The New York Times, Sept.19, 2014. www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/your-money-the-weighty-responsiblity-of-inheriting-a-collection.html?action=.

Finally, there are websites intended to service artists' estates, POBA.org  being one and I think there is at least one  exclusively for artists who died of AIDS.  I just do not know of their success rates promoting deceased artists.

-------------------------------------------
    Charles  Steiner
    Adjunct Faculty, Studio Art
    Univ. of Arkansas, Fort Smith AR
    -------------------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: estate agent

Posted 01-30-2015 02:32 PM
    Dear David and Colleagues:  Yes, these situations do indeed exist and dealer representation may offer, depending on the wishes of the heirs/estate, the following:  exhibition opportunities leading to sales of the work; placing works in museums; ensuring or enhancing the legacy of the artist, etc.  Galleries that handle estates in NY by these methods are:  Michael Rosenfeld Gallery; Achim Moeller; Allan Stone Projects, who regularly launch exhibitions in their gallery space, attend art fairs, etc.  All best, Geri Thomas, President, Thomas & Associates, Inc., www.artstaffing.com