Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Object Database

• 1.  Object Database

Posted 01-05-2015 06:00 PM
    Hello - I am looking for a very simple database that I can use to manage a collection of less than 500 decorative objects.  One that will accept photos of the objects in the object record.  I am looking for a program like Filemaker but something that aligns with my non existent project budget.  

Many thanks for your suggestions
    Mary Anna
    -------------------------------------------
    Mary Anna Murphy
    MAM Exhibit Design
    mamexhibitdesign.com
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-06-2015 07:16 AM
    Hi Mary Anna:

Check out "Past Perfect" (http://www.museumsoftware.com/). Inexpensive compared to many, accepts photos, start small (one computer) and expand as necessary, import from Excel (or have them do it for you), good support.

Cheers, Heather

Heather Aitken
    Project Administrator

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE:Object Database

Posted 01-06-2015 08:58 AM
    Hello Mary Anna,
    I work in a historic house and we use Past Perfect. You can load photos with the objects and it works quite well. It can even generate reports.

Tania Batley

• 4.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-06-2015 09:15 AM

Well, if Filemaker isn't in your budget then Past Perfect will probably not be either. Microsoft Access, is considerably less expensive, and though in my experience it isn't ideal, it could be quite serviceable for the small collection you describe and it is inexpensive...around $100 last time I looked and it may already be bundled in an MS Office Suite you are running.

The disadvantage of using generic database software like Filemaker or Access is that you will need to develop a database architecture to manage your records more or less from scratch. Spending more on a system like Past Perfect, can be closer to an out of the box solution. Depending on your time, resources, and comfort with database design (and maybe a little SQL), the extra money on software designed already to care for collections may be worth the extra investment. On the other hand, building your own means you can tailor the development to precisely meet your needs. Good luck.
    Jeanette Silverthorne
    Associate Director
    Miriam & Ira D. Wallach Art Gallery
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-06-2015 09:58 AM
    Mary Anna, you can insert photos into an Excel spreadsheet, so if you feel it's "Find" capability is adequate for your needs, perhaps that would work for you.  The Collective Access database (used by museums) is free open source software, but it may be far more than you want/need for a small project.

Hope that offers some ideas!

Best,

Adrienne

Adrienne Saint-Pierre
    The Barnum Museum

• 6.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-06-2015 12:54 PM
    Has anyone used Collective Access? I am very curious about this free open source database.

Karen Levitov
    Director and Curator
    Paul W. Zuccaire Gallery
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook NY

• 7.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-07-2015 12:32 PM
    Mary Anna - I am in a similar situation. I have a small collection of artifacts (~100 objects) and a non-existent budget. These objects are parts of a 1960s-era spacecraft that I'm trying to assemble into a complete artifact, and I'd like to document each of the parts to form an inventory before we start putting things together, so a database is essential.

Karen - I'm starting to use Collective Access for this collection, but I'm still a novice user. So far, I've figured out how to tag each object with an identifier and add multiple pictures to each object entry.

Of all the free and open source databases, I think it does a good job of combining ease-of-use and powerful features. You can try a full working installation of Collective Access by downloading one of their "quickstart" packages for Mac or Windows:
    http://collectiveaccess.org/#download

Are there any other expert users of Collective Access out there?

Best,
    Perry

Perry Roth-Johnson, Ph.D.
    Air and Space Exhibit Researcher
    California Science Center
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-06-2015 02:45 PM
    I used FileMaker to create a database of a teaching collection (about 700 objects with photos) and would highly recommend it, but if your budget doesn't allow for it, you may want to look at Apache OpenOffice.  OpenOffice is free and open source.  It has a database program called Base.  Now I haven't tried Base myself, but it may be worthwhile to check it out.

Barron Oda
    Associate General Counsel
    Bishop Museum
    Honolulu HI

• 9.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-07-2015 12:24 PM
    The database I am familiar with is ArtSystems, and I think their "old" Collection version (which is Windows OS only) might serve your purposes, as it is easy to use, accepts photos, and has the functions that matter: sorting options, reports, multiple (searchable) fields for listing information.  I don't think it functions for a collection that also does sales (I used a higher-end version that does all the basics PLUS sales features), but for a collection that stays in-house or goes on loans, it should work well for you.  You can check out ArtSystems online and/or call them.  I even checked their phone number for you:  800-227-1128.

Beth Savage
    New York NY

• 10.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-07-2015 02:22 PM
    Hello all,

My museum did use Past Perfect but we recently transferred everything to Collective Access. We found that Past Perfect was essentially useless if the information added wasn't uniform. Collective Access works a lot better with information that is not uniform because of the search parameters. CA is definitely is more user friendly and can be as simple or complex as needed, and it can absolutely be molded to your specific needs. The technical assistance with CA is fantastic! If you are starting from scratch with CA than it is simple. If you are transferring from one program to CA like we did, it can take a bit more configuring.

Another option that is easy to use is E-Hive. It is free, to a point. You can upload pictures and information. You can't tailor it but only the information you add shows up (so you don't see questions without answers on the front end). https://ehive.com/

I would recommend CA over PP any day.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions on Collective Access.

Katie Conrad
    Curatorial and Development Assistant
    Brigham City Museum of Art and History
    Box Elder Museum of Natural History
    Brigham City UT

• 11.  RE: Object Database

Posted 01-08-2015 09:24 AM
    Another vote for CA or EHive here. 
    I used EHive in a "OMG we have no database and no budget and we need to do this!" situation. We ended up paying for slightly more storage for our photos, but I think it was $99 a year or something nominal. My problems with EHive was the lack of custom reporting and custom, precise searching. I like it's user interface- it's great if you have volunteers or non-computer people using it. The barrier to entry is super low. Support was...eh. The best way for me to get service was through Twitter (which appears to be a theme as of late). 
    I also like the fact that it's web based. I feel like that's the future really. If we could get it to be done in responsive web design (so you could catalog on a tablet or phone or something that's not leashed to a desk), then we'd really be cooking with gas. 

CA I've only poked at as an exploratory thing so I can't comment on its use as a super user, but it seems like it could be a winner. 

Cheers,
    Tracey 

Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA