Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  programs for all ages

Posted 12-31-2014 10:24 AM
    How can architecture and design find their way into art museum programming? People's awareness of their surrounds and the ways in which design professionals impact their lives and their communities needs to be nurtured. Any good examples?

Thanks,

June Freeman, director
    Architecture and Design Network
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: programs for all ages

Posted 01-03-2015 05:33 PM
    Hello, June -

First, a disclaimer:  I am not an architect, I'm an artist with a biology degree.  However, I have some thoughts on your question.  I cannot think of any examples that I've seen in other museums, but I have a suggestion for a general program activity that might get people thinking broadly about how architecture and design impact their lives.

I suggest facilitated discussion by playing "Architectural Pictionary".  Secretly ask one participant in the group to draw a picture of a specific kind of building or place (a bank, church, hospital, house, airport, restaurant, etc.) for 30 seconds (perhaps a few minutes for kids, but keep it short to maintain excitement).  When time's up, ask the rest of the group to guess what it is.  Some adults might be self-conscious or intimidated by drawing, but children would likely enjoy it, and if that situation presents itself, let the kids do the drawing.  For each correct guess, the drawer gets one point, and the drawer with the most points wins.  (Make it clear that their goal is to communicate through their drawing as clearly as possible, rather than to stump the guessers.)  The "quick draw" format will usually force people to mentally identify the most iconic and defining aspects of what they are envisioning and to draw those first, adding more details if time allows. 

After a few rounds of this game, congratulate the winning drawer and then change to a new format.  This time, choose another place (school, stadium, etc.) and have everyone draw their own picture of it simultaneously.  When time runs out, collect all of the drawings and put them up on the wall.  Invite the group to identify common elements that most or all of the pictures share.  Note that whichever way the game is played, it works because most of us have learned to associate certain architectural features with specific kinds of places.  If most everyone guesses that a drawing represents a church, it's probably because the drawer chose a feature (like a steeple) that they thought everyone would recognize.  When you say "draw a church," and most everyone draws a building with a steeple, it's that same common perception at work.  

Once the games have illustrated the idea of our shared common perceptions about the design of various places, the discussion phase of the activity can begin.  Start some dialogue about why those common elements are usually found in those places by asking questions.

Are the features that we associate with specific kinds of places usually functional/structural, or mostly aesthetic? 
    Are these features always necessary today, or are they relics of older traditions? 
    What places do participants like and not like to spend time in, and what about the design/architecture of each makes them feel that way?
    Do they think that behavior of people in space is influenced by the space itself?  How?
    Do they think that the way they feel is how the owner/operator or designer of that place wants them to feel when they are in that place?
    What would they like to change about places that they don't like?

All of these questions could help to feed a dialogue that gets people thinking about why spaces are the way they are, what needs, goals or requirements their designers are looking to meet, and whether or not those are consistent with the needs, goals or requirements of the community in which that space has been or will be constructed.  Some may leave with a "fresh pair of eyes" and a begin to think more about the relationship between themselves and the spaces in which they spend their lives. 

Interesting question! 

Michael

-------------------------------------------
    Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: programs for all ages

Posted 01-05-2015 06:20 PM
    Dear June,
    A week or so ago, I visited the newly re-opened Cooper-Hewitt Museum in New York; this was a somewhat casual visit, as I was with a non-museum friend.  But my first reaction to your post was to suggest that you go visit there, if you can. Many of the opening exhibits address your question, in various ways.  

Deborah Trupin
    Textile Conservator
    New York State Office Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation
    Waterford NY