Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best new museum education book of 2014?

Posted 12-11-2014 12:57 PM
    Best museum education book of 2014?

Every year about this time I'm asked by librarians and others who purchase books for museum libraries - what is the BEST museum education book of the year? With my very limited funds, these book buyers ask, what museum education book can I purchase that will entertain, motivate and even inspire staff and volunteers?

What would you tell them? Which would YOU choose? Please help us out  - and cast your vote here!

Thanks for your help! Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
    Chris

M. Chris Castle
    Editor, Museum Education Monitor
    chris@mccastle.com

-------------------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Best new museum education book of 2014?

Posted 12-13-2014 01:16 PM
    I strongly recommend Jeffrey K. Smith's new book, The museum effect: How museums, libraries, and cultural institutions educate and civilize society (Rowman & Littlefield 2014).  It's both wise and witty, beautifully written, and it explores the immediate and lifelong impact of museum visits (and programs) in a thoroughly accessible way.  Jeff was head of evaluation & research at The Met for many years and has a marvelously easy insightful way with data and with narrative; he tells and weaves together museum-impact stories very compellingly.  His book is grounded in his visitor research in an art museum but he applies it to all kinds of museums, including planetariums and libraries, and he even manages to work in music, astronomy, and Monty Python.  It's a rich portrait of how museums and cultural institutions work as they do.

Elizabeth (Beau) Vallance
    Associate Professor (retired), Art Education
    Indiana University
    Bloomington IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more