Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Blended Learning in Museums

Posted 11-24-2014 05:41 PM

​I'm exploring what blended learning (combining face-to-face with online instruction) might look like in a museum context.  Can anyone share experiences or references with me?

Thanks!

Kari R. Nelson
    Curator of Education
    Museum of Peoples and Cultures
    Brigham Young University
    Provo, Utah, USA

mpc_programs@byu.edu
    (801)422-0022
    mpc.byu.edu
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Blended Learning in Museums

Posted 11-25-2014 09:19 AM
    Hi Kari, great topic!
    I've put together a few museums that have great digital learning programs, that might have some information if you are looking to introduce blended learning.

The Cleveland Museum of Natural History does about 500 distance learning programs a year, and they focus a lot on health programs, they ship kits with hands-on items to the schools for the kids to interact with. Talk to Patti Overholser or Lee Gamble.

The Philidelphia Museum of Art does teacher workshops online and seasonal programs, as well as distance learning content. They use a lot of really high resolution images to present the artworks to participants.

The Virginia Historical Society does distance learning programs with primary source analysis, ask a historian, and a lot of other Virginia history topics. Talk to Evan Liddiard, he runs the program there.

Some common programs to host content are Skype, Blackboard, Polycom, Vidyo, and Zoom. Personally I prefer Blackboard. They are education focused and have a lot of great tools, like virtual hand raising, and real time quizzes.

Hope this helps!

-------------------------------------------
    Steven Prokopchak
    Associate Producer
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Blended Learning in Museums

Posted 11-26-2014 10:55 AM
    Hi Kari,
    I just did a TERRIFIC sample distance learning program - which I guess is a form of blended learning - with the Alaska SeaLife Center.  Contact Darin Trobaugh distancelearning(a)alaskasealife.org  (907) 224-7900.

You might also speak to Julia Heighway at CILC, they are often the "clearinghouse" for many free-choice learning center Distance Learning programs, helping to connect schools and classrooms.  Julia is a former museum educator and overall a really great resource.

Good luck!
    Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ